Rooting/Rom Consult?

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and see what my Fascinate can do rooted (modestly). I like my fascinate a ton, but just want that little extra that rooting and Froyo offer (and I'm worried the VZ OTA isn't gonna be worth a spit, after the Sprint Epic debacle).

I hate to admit it, but I use (like to have on hand) some of the amazingly engineered bloatware and widgets that verizon/samsung provides w/ a stock version. I also would prefer the least buggy/most refined version possible (obviously, as does everyone). Lastly, i'd like to do as little additional flashing/work as possible. I'm ok w/ removing a couple things here and there, rather than flashing an assortment.

Which version would best suit my needs (I'm assuming eb01)?

Does my wanting of some of the bloat mean I can't do a superclean version?

What am I sacrificing (if anything) by not choosing superclean 2.6 or 2.7?

Pro's/con's of voodoo?

Thanks to anyone who helps, and my apologies if I should have read another thread. I've read around a ton, and still don't have a solid feel of what each offers

Last edited:

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks!

ok, so is superclean eb01 w/ no bloat?

I tend to use/like the functionality of - Allshare, calculator, browser (I use dolphin, but like the basic on hand), Calculator, calendar, camera, Gmail, memo, my files (maybe...is there something better?), music player (haven't looked for anything better yet).

Thoughts?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks!

ok, so is superclean eb01 w/ no bloat?

I tend to use/like the functionality of - Allshare, calculator, browser (I use dolphin, but like the basic on hand), Calculator, calendar, camera, Gmail, memo, my files (maybe...is there something better?), music player (haven't looked for anything better yet).

Thoughts?

Yes superclean is EB01 without all the bloat like VZ Nav, Vcast, etc.
I have superclean 2.6 and everything you mentioned is in there with the one slight exception that the calculator is the AOSP calculator instead of the stock one. Slightly different.

Reactions: Big Z

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
ooooh.....I think my mouth started watering.

Is that stuff not considered bloat, or is bloat anything with VZ's name slathered all over/or that they push on you w/ 0 functionality?

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Is the battery life any better on the supercleans? I have been tempted to change to 2.6 but I am hesitant. Also, I have EB01 deodexed/debloated so can I still download the .zip file and install it via CWM?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the battery life any better on the supercleans? I have been tempted to change to 2.6 but I am hesitant. Also, I have EB01 deodexed/debloated so can I still download the .zip file and install it via CWM?

Battery performance has really been hit or miss on EB01 with no rhyme or reason for it. People on identical setups are reporting completely different battery results so I can't say with certainty sc 2.6 will give you better battery life. The sc ROMs should give better battery life because of all the bloat and unnecessary stuff they get rid of. We won't see consistent better battery life until the official release of Froyo and the devs get their hands on the source code so they can put out custom kernels.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Given what you say I would not suggest superclean. I thing EB01 stock debloated/deodexed is the best choice.

Only the worst of the bloat is taken out. Touchwiz and the rest of the VZ framework is left in place. Being deodexed leaves you set for further Mods/ Upgrades. All upside, no downside.

The other option is to flash Stock EB01 all the bloat, and then use Titanium Backup to 'freeze' the apps you don't care about. If you search you can find a list of what is generally safe to freeze. You can freeze apps manually but Titanium Backup makes it dead simple to do.

EB01 debloated/deodexed can be flashed easily to SuperClean if you decide you want a more stripped down ROM.

I think EB01 Debloated Deodexed is the middle ground between SC and Stock.

I just flashed from Debloated/Deodexed to SC 2.6 and it's running well but my clock is losing time.

I haven't used Voodoo, but from what I read I see little reason to go to it unless you just like knowing your are wringing every last bit of performance out of your phone.

Run EB01 non voodoo for awhile. Once you are on EB01, moving to Super Clean or voodoo is very simple.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you really want simple, follow the [Odin] Full EB01/EB16 Froyo leak, packaged ROMs w/root and clockwork sticky. DroidXcon has done a great job of packaging a few setups together in one file you flash with Odin (which is also available in that thread along with step by step instructions). As was previously stated, I too would recommend EB01 stock debloated/deodexed. It is packaged with root and CWM all in one file so you'd be ready to go. Everything you've stated you wanted is included in that version and if there's anything you don't want, it would be very simple to install a file manager like root explorer to take them off and be done with it. After Odin is done flashing the 350MB+ package, you should be running exactly the way you want within minutes.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
+ 1 on the Full package as the easy way to get where you want to go without having to worry about this version and that version.

It sounds like you (OP) have been doing some reading which is good. Keep reading, but while you do you can easily root/ install Clockwork Recovery and end up on Froyo.

But I will also add that if you root first (and only root) than you can run Titanium Backup and do a full back up. Before running the update package.

Very basic instructions for backing up with Titanium Backup are here:

TB - HOWTOs : Titanium Backup - Wiki

I followed this when installing EB01 and 99.5% of my phone was restored. I had to reset my widgets on my home pages. And one or two apps needed to be reinstalled to run right. Put another way restoring my phone to pre froyo condition was about a 5 minute job.

The whole process using the Full package linked above and restoring was about 15 minutes.

Reactions: samfascjdb68

samfascjdb68

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
But I will also add that if you root first (and only root) than you can run Titanium Backup and do a full back up. Before running the update package.

Question: After a lot of reading this is the path I thought I needed to take. I am currently on stock EA28 (I know, been on the fence for too long but about to fall off) but I have read a couple of threads where others were sucsessful rooting from EA28 using ADB. I have alot of apps and thought that this would be the easiest way to restore them rather than redownloading them all individually.

However Johnly has posted that Astro File Mgr will back up apps without root and in DroidXcon's How To wipe/restore he mentions My Backup Pro as doing this also.

So, being on EA28 should I root/titanium then froyo or use Astro/MBU then straight to froyo?

Big thanks to all of the AC comunnity for the inspiration.
JB

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I already 'voted' but my opinion is Root/TiBU. Before I rooted I used some backup program but I never restored from it and ditched it after rooting.

Rooting also allows you to make what is called a nandroid backup which is a snapshot of your whole system. Allowing you to go back to exactly what state your whole phone was in when you took the snapshot. There are a few more steps since you will need to push Clockwork Mod Recovery to your phone. But its all good learning.

No one best way. Just think it through, and that what you consider important is protected in some way.

Personally everything I care about is protected in two ways. TiBU and some other method. So for instance contacts are in Google and TiBU. Applications (which ones I have installed) are in AppBrain and in a file on my SD card. Documents, Google and TiBU. As you can see i'm a big fan of the Google 'cloud'.

samfascjdb68

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thats the way I've been leaning. I want to have the easiest method to restore my apps and I've read that tbu does it well. Its just I came across these other posibble options and want to make sure.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It worked great for me thats all I can say. If you go TiBU than read through the documents at the wiki before doing anything. There is some good information on the settings and what they do.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to comment on the Titanium Backup and let you know that it works well. However, during the restore the free version stops at most downloaded applications and asks you if you want to allow the app to have access to your various settings (just like in a regular installation). This adds a lot of extra time to the restore, plus you have to watch your phone and answer it for each app individually. The paid version will do it all for you in one step, kind of like Windows' option of "do this for all" when making changes. The restore still takes some time, but you can leave it and let it work its magic without your continual intervention.

Install the free version, then go to the market and buy the paid - do not uninstall the free version as the paid one just "unlocks" some of the features.

I keep messing with my phone and the TBu has been great for getting things back to normal. Now I obsessively backup when I've added new apps or made changes.

samfascjdb68

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That one step feature of the TBU paid version is what had me leaning that way. I don't know if My Backup or Astro have that capability. That and I'm not sure where I want to go after rooting yet.

Thanks for your input.

swissguy591

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Rooting Help

So I've been wanting to put the froyo build of superclean on my phone but cwm wasn't working for some reason anymore so I had the idea of going all the way back to DI01(just because I knew how and it was simple). I got it loaded on there and then even got cwm to work. But my only problem now is that I can't apply the root. I'm using the simple one step process and it keeps saying my phone isn't connected. The only thing is that I've installed the samsung drivers(again) and my computer even recognizes it but the program does not.

Any ideas why?

Please help I want to get my froyo on!

magnumv3

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
So I've been wanting to put the froyo build of superclean on my phone but cwm wasn't working for some reason anymore so I had the idea of going all the way back to DI01(just because I knew how and it was simple). I got it loaded on there and then even got cwm to work. But my only problem now is that I can't apply the root. I'm using the simple one step process and it keeps saying my phone isn't connected. The only thing is that I've installed the samsung drivers(again) and my computer even recognizes it but the program does not.

Any ideas why?

Please help I want to get my froyo on!

That seems odd the computer recognizes it but the program doesn't. If you have multiple usb ports maybe try plugging into a different one and try again.

If you used Odin to go back to DI01 you can use the same method to get froyo and root all in one with DroidXcon's odin method.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberprettyfashiongirl95