Rooting your phone

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Check out this article from AC's Jerry, it has some very good info on rooting: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

Myself I root all my Android devices for the following specific reasons (in order of importance):

1. Use AdAway with the MVPS blocking hosts file (blocks known malicious websites as well as ads) - Note: Google removed it from the Play Store, but you can get it from the dev here: AdAway | sufficiently secure
2. Freeze the OTA updater. I want control over when and IF my system gets an update. I prefer to evaluate updates when they're released (via change logs or others who have installed/reported on it) to see if it's worth updating or not.
3. Gain full control over system to apply any system level modifications if needed. An example of this was with my Verizon Note 2 where for some unknown reason they disabled the following feature and I wanted it back: Re-enable infinite scroll on home screens and app drawer http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...d-infinite-scroll-touch-wiz-home-screens.html

realisticgirl

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I understand why you root your phone but i wanted to know when you are rooting your phone is there a possibility that it could go wrong and then wreck your phone.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using AC Forums mobile app

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There is that possibility, but it's greatly minimized as long as you read plenty of info on how to root your specific device. That way you're fully prepared and if you run into any issues you can work through them. You can also always ask for help in the device's specific forum. The article I linked also covers some of your questions. It's a great read all around. :)

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Most of the problems people have while rooting is they don't follow directions, resulting in a missed step and fail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
There is a 0% chance that you will brick your phone if you try to root it.

I've rooted many devices over the years, and every time a device has been "bricked", I've always managed to fix it.

I have never heard/read anywhere/known anybody who's ever permanently bricked their phone.

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I've rooted my and I tried to apply a rom, but it didn't work. It kept saying error while I was in recovery mode. I cleared cache and wiped phone. So after I retried it a couple of times I just pulled my battery and restarted it. Me pulling the battery like would that have hurt my phone any? This is my first time ever rooting a device. So I'm new to all this.

Sent from my Galaxy S3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krumplycelloids