Rotary phone, dial up internet and the head phone jack

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
the headphone jack is officially obsolete now that the Note 10 doesn't have it. Why does the media and other people complain about this feature being left behind. I have awesome beats solo wireless headphones for the gym and cheap amazon wireless earbuds when I go to work. Cars for the past many years use bluetooth and if they don't you can still use cheap bluetooth devices on amazon.

Media, journalists and others......losing the headphone jack is not a loss.

However, losing the more secure iris scanner and more accurate rear fps is a real loss. I have hardly heard anything positive about the in display fps.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a first world problem! That being said, I like to have options. Either way you have to carry some headphones with you. The only thing is, when your BT headphones run out of power. Not every set can be charged conveniently (or even using power share) so a wired headset can be useful.
All in all, I haven't used a pair of wired headphones in over a year. I have many BT sets. Samsung is still giving you a pair of wired/USB-C headphones so I'm inclined to agree with you & wonder why so many people are *crying* over this... SMH...
I too am going to seriously miss the Iris Scanner. It's been my go-to method for 2 years now.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
However, losing the more secure iris scanner and more accurate rear fps is a real loss. I have hardly heard anything positive about the in display fps.

I thought the in screen FPS was pretty advanced being 3d?
Yes the one on the Note 9 seems to be faster unlocking but isn't the one on the Note 10 just as or even more secure?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
the headphone jack is officially obsolete now that the Note 10 doesn't have it. Why does the media and other people complain about this feature being left behind. I have awesome beats solo wireless headphones for the gym and cheap amazon wireless earbuds when I go to work. Cars for the past many years use bluetooth and if they don't you can still use cheap bluetooth devices on amazon.

There are lots of people that have good experience with the under screen FPS. Negative attention always gets the lime light. I love the FPS on me S10+.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Why you bashing dial up?
I loved carrying my 50lb laptop to the kitchen table to connect to the phone line and then hearing someone yell "I need to use the phone!!"

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was a little concerned with the first phone I had that didn't have a jack, but I can count on one hand how many times it's been an issue in the past 3 years.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, the thing with the jack is that it's basically universal. I mean, it was used on the Walkman back in the 70s. As such, a lot of headphones today are compatible with it, moreso than even Bluetooth. I probably use BT headphones 9 out of 10 times, and most of the time it's my Galaxy Buds. Still, I do have an old car from '07 that I drive sometimes, and I like being able to use the aux port. Technically I still can, I just have to leave a dongle in it. Thanks for including one in the box, Samsung...oh wait. While I rarely use the aux cable, I like having it as a backup option. And it's virtually everywhere. So unlike, say, an IR blaster, it's a component that gives me a heck of a lot more freedom.

I guess the question isn't one of obsolecence, but rather one of tradeoffs. What are we getting for the loss of the jack? Samsung says a bigger battery. But could they have given us the battery by increasing the thickness of the phone by a mm or so? Doing so wouldn't make the Note 10+ any harder to put in our pockets, and I don't think it would affect your ability to hold it either unless you have very small hands. I think this would have been a better route than taking away the jack.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, the thing with the jack is that it's basically universal. I mean, it was used on the Walkman back in the 70s. As such, a lot of headphones today are compatible with it, moreso than even Bluetooth. I probably use BT headphones 9 out of 10 times, and most of the time it's my Galaxy Buds. Still, I do have an old car from '07 that I drive sometimes, and I like being able to use the aux port. Technically I still can, I just have to leave a dongle in it. Thanks for including one in the box, Samsung...oh wait. While I rarely use the aux cable, I like having it as a backup option. And it's virtually everywhere. So unlike, say, an IR blaster, it's a component that gives me a heck of a lot more freedom.

I guess the question isn't one of obsolecence, but rather one of tradeoffs. What are we getting for the loss of the jack? Samsung says a bigger battery. But could they have given us the battery by increasing the thickness of the phone by a mm or so? Doing so wouldn't make the Note 10+ any harder to put in our pockets, and I don't think it would affect your ability to hold it either unless you have very small hands. I think this would have been a better route than taking away the jack.
On the jack. I would think the headset manufacturers and others would just change the connection from 3.5 to type C connection to remedy this issue. Maybe they do, I just haven't looked yet. If they do this, would it matter there's no 3.5 jack is my question.

EDIT... I see they make such a thing, they seem to rate good. So I don't see the issue here. What seems to be the problem. Only one I see is having to change headphones, but we all did that from micro USB chargers to type C. There is the 3.5 to type C adapters also to keep using what you have. Enlighten me to the issue.

Last edited:

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

The number one feature when it comes to the decision to not include a headphone jack from Samsung's perspective is cost. They will save BILLIONS of dollars by eliminating it. Not just the Note but future S phones won't have it. millions of phones x cost is big money. Samsung could of just raised the price but the prices is already at the high end for most people. Would you pay an extra $20 for a headphone jack? I wouldn't. Smartphone growth has plateaued and cutting costs is one way to counter the decline in growth.

Other reasons after cost were yes to save space. Samsung was one of the last to still keep the headphone jack. I don't think thinner was a reason because the S10 is just as thin as the Note and has a headphone jack. It may have to do with the smaller bezel. I think Apple was way too early many years ago for most people (apple can get away with anything they want including selling you a nice box of sh*t) but the bluetooth era is full stream now.

Here is a pretty cool bluetooth radio adapter and dual charger on amazon for people without bluetooth:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FM...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6606607

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wired headphones have better sound and no lag, which is why phones that are geared towards content creators and gamers still have it. It's far from an obsolete technology.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

technically speaking you do have a headphone Jack, it's doubles as the charging port

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Wired headphones have better sound and no lag, which is why phones that are geared towards content creators and gamers still have it. It's far from an obsolete technology.

This is a good point that I also should have raised. In some video apps, (like the Samsung Internet browser when watching videos), my Galaxy Buds lag. In other apps it's fine. But when I use wired audio it's never a problem.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a good point that I also should have raised. In some video apps, (like the Samsung Internet browser when watching videos), my Galaxy Buds lag. In other apps it's fine. But when I use wired audio it's never a problem.
The YouTube audio lags bad in my work truck stereo, but not games (I sit a lot).

miamiborn79

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Until the technology and sound quality of Bluetooth headphones can complete with wired headphones, I will always prefer to plug them in. I own several pairs of good Bluetooth headphones. They are convenient, yes, but the sound in no way compares to wired. Even the AKG cans that came with the Note 9 promotion last year sound cleaner and louder when you plug them in vs. using them in Bluetooth mode. And would I pay an 20 bucks for a headphone jack? (answering a question posed by another poster) Absolutely! As it is I'm gonna spend at least 10-15 bucks for a couple of dongles, so it would definitely be worth it to me! Most casual listeners don't mind the inferior sound of Bluetooth. But in situations where I really want to hear the music the best way I can, I always reach for my wired pairs. So dongle life it is...