Rumor: iPad2 has only 256MB of RAM? Same as iPad 1?

JZambrano

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw this. The dual proccesor with 256 ram would have a bottleneck effect. I think its actually 512. That would be more logical.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I saw this. The dual proccesor with 256 ram would have a bottleneck effect. I think its actually 512. That would be more logical.
What with as notorious as the iPad 1 has been about being not being able to load multiple tabs without reloading, and tiling, surely they will use more than 256...BUT it goes with my theory that the second A5 processor has just been thrown in there for show to try and keep up with Android. That Apple event today was dripping with insecurity and IMO of it were not for Android there would be so second core in the iPad 2. I doubt it gets used at all.

JZambrano

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
What with as notorious as the iPad 1 has been about being not being able to load multiple tabs without reloading, and tiling, surely they will use more than 256...BUT it goes with my theory that the second A5 processor has just been thrown in there for show to try and keep up with Android. That Apple event today was dripping with insecurity and IMO of it were not for Android there would be so second core in the iPad 2. I doubt it gets used at all.

Agreed. If anything, they just came out with the Ipad 1.5. There was nothing really game changing about it.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. If anything, they just came out with the Ipad 1.5. There was nothing really game changing about it.
If not for Android, that whole event today would have been, colored cover cases, thinner and HDMI cable, or whatever that thing is.

Instead it was dual core/Android sucks/thinner/Android sucks/colored cases/we have more apps than Android/ proprietary HDMI cable/blah blah blah :D

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I personally was thinking Apple was going to release something that would make me go... 'wow, I can see why people are considering that now.'

but if someone wants an ipad why not get last years model for a cheaper price after the ipad2 is released?

I think Honeycomb is the kicker for me personally... I enjoy having a difference experience than what I have on my phone and that's where Honeycomb thrives.

Everyone has their own opinion and decisions to make so I'm not going to bash anything hard here but I wasn't too impressed or wow'd by todays announcement like I have seen in the past from Apple's conferences.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If they truly left the RAM at 256 MB, they've made a major mistake. The device won't be able perform as it should with the dualcore. I cannot believe they would make such a mistake.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
If they truly left the RAM at 256 MB, they've made a major mistake. The device won't be able perform as it should with the dualcore. I cannot believe they would make such a mistake.
In my opinion, even with 512 they won't use that second core. They threw it in imo so as not to be laughed off the stage today. You'll never convince me that a year ago when their developers started work on the iPad 2 that it was intended to use dual core: imo it was added at a late date after they saw what Android was doing.

It doesn't make much of a difference with the lack of real multi-tasking anyway.
That's true and just another indication that the second core was thrown in there last minute to try and keep up with Android and will not really be used.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey guy, I am not defending Apple! I actually believe as you, they threw the dualcore in there so people wouldn't laugh at them today. LOL I still laughed at them and their attacks at the competition...they clearly are concerned.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guy, I am not defending Apple! I actually believe as you, they threw the dualcore in there so people wouldn't laugh at them today. LOL I still laughed at them and their attacks at the competition...they clearly are concerned.
Oh I wasn't saying you were defending Apple :) I was just sayin... and I agree with you :):)

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, even with 512 they won't use that second core. They threw it in imo so as not to be laughed off the stage today. You'll never convince me that a year ago when their developers started work on the iPad 2 that it was intended to use dual core: imo it was added at a late date after they saw what Android was doing.

That's true and just another indication that the second core was thrown in there last minute to try and keep up with Android and will not really be used.

I believe it. There were stories in the tech blogs that the iPad 2 was delayed due to "last minute design changes." It also makes sense given that some stories have said they will only have 300,000 - 400,000 iPad 2's available at launch due to the late changes.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
As if adding another core was like putting in a stick of RAM. Manufacturing and integrating this sort of thing is not trivial. Even a cash and resource rich company like Apple would not attempt halting production lines to re-engineer their logic boards to work with a new chip.

Bottom line: Apple could care less what everyone else is doing. They go their own way and make no apologies. It's no wonder that iOS still has pop-ups for notifications and no new mail icon in the status bar.

Consumers eat it up because Apple kicks ass at industrial design and they know how to position their products with just enough things missing in them that you're excited to see them addressed in the next release a year later.

Love my Xoom, but I wouldn't dare recommend it to my neighbor. Not with 16 apps in the market, a browser with no Flash, a grainy video chat and an overall beta feel to it. This conversation will be very different a year from now, but coming from a Xoom owner (who bought 2 and plans on keeping both), Apple is still winning with their big iPhone.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line: Apple could care less what everyone else is doing.
Oh yeah okay :D I guess that's why they took the time to compare themselves to Android throughout their event today...they even had the Honeycomb logo up on the screen !:D

Apple is OBSESSED with what everyone else is doing.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah okay :D I guess that's why they took the time to compare themselves to Android throughout their event today...they even had the Honeycomb logo up on the screen !:D

Apple is OBSESSED with what everyone else is doing.
You're mixing marketing with product strategy.

From a marketing perspective they have to show why their products are superior. From a product strategy perspective, they go their own way. They make some seriously boneheaded decisions that have no bearing on what the competition is doing right.

Let's remember: The cult of Apple is driven by the fact that their employees believe that their leader is a visionary and as such, he is the only example to follow. So if iSteve says 256mb of RAM, they'll build it with 256mb of RAM. Historically those that have questioned the dictator get fired.

The jabs at Android, RIM, etc. in today's presentation are laced with truth. Last I checked, I still have 16 apps in the Android Market for tablets. There are more than 16 available, and I'm still waiting for Google to acknowledge that themselves. How wrong is that?

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You're mixing marketing with product strategy.

From a marketing perspective they have to show why their products are superior. From a product strategy perspective, they go their own way. They make some seriously boneheaded decisions that have no bearing on what the competition is doing right.

Let's remember: The cult of Apple is driven by the fact that their employees believe that their leader is a visionary and he as such, he is the only example to follow. So if iSteve says 256mb of RAM, they'll build it with 256mb of RAM. Historically those that have questioned the dictator get fired.

The jabs at Android, RIM, etc. in today's presentation are laced with truth. Last I checked, I still have 16 apps in the Android Market for tablets. There are more than 16 available, and I'm still waiting for Google to acknowledge that themselves. How wrong is that?

You said and I quote "Apple could care less what everyone else is doing"

Now you say that the jabs are laced with truth...who CARES if there is any truth? That was not what you originally said. All I'm saying is that Apple DOES care what Google/Android RIM is doing. Please don't start the red herring and changing the subject moves. Oh, and the reason you are waiting for Google to acknowledge anything is because you (like Apple) care what they say and do :)

Apple would darn sure add dual core just to keep up with Android: they just did. :) Although I question how honestly Apple will implement it.;)

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
There are more than 16 available, and I'm still waiting for Google to acknowledge that themselves.
There are also more than 16 tablet/honeycomb apps than what you see in that one list, just for example Google Body and USA Today for Android Tablets are not listed there but are in the market. More apps are coming in everyday and are not going to stop, just like Android has not stopped overtaking iOS. I do think Google needs to get it's act together on making tablet specific apps easily found.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord