Running/GPS tracking apps

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Am I right in thinking S Health is still the only Running app that uses the Gear S built in GPS and and can be used without the phone? I've tried Nike+ and Endomondo looks great but I don't wanna use them as taking my phone running defeats the purpose

sent from my Galaxy s5

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They've actually improved it, really. I remember S-Health back with the Note 2 and it was reaaaally bare bones. Now it's not such a bad fitness app. There are just better ones out there.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How do you do that? I get this error message every time even though it's remotely connected

sent from my Galaxy s5

Attachments

• Screen-20141204201545.jpg
    Screen-20141204201545.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 134

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
How do you do that? I get this error message every time even though it's remotely connected

sent from my Galaxy s5

Sync it with the phone run it once and then disconnect the bluetooth in your phone. That allowed for me to run it without the phone. I even reset the Gear and ran Nike + and it worked in standalone mode with no remote connect.

Posted via the Android Central App

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sync it with the phone run it once and then disconnect the bluetooth in your phone. That allowed for me to run it without the phone. I even reset the Gear and ran Nike + and it worked in standalone mode with no remote connect.

Perfect! Thank you. I just wish that method worked for Endomondo too lol

sent from my Galaxy s5

castone001

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So no one has tried this on the Gear S yet? I am ready to pull the trigger on the Gear S because of this. im an avid Endomondo user........

From Endomondo's BLOG Site ...................
COPENHAGEN, Denmark – Oct. 8, 2014 – After releasing updates earlier this year for Samsung Gear Fit and Gear 2, Garmin, TomTom and Pebble iOS users; the popular Endomondo Sports Tracker app now integrates today with Android Wear devices, as well as the Samsung Gear S smartwatch.

The free Android Wear update delivers a total of six real-time fitness stats across three screens. A simple swipe lets users move through data, and information can be assigned to different pages with ease. Further, the integration allows people to easily start/pause/stop a workout while on the go.

The Samsung Gear S integration works similarly, but allows users to select between a total of nine configurable stats such as speed, distance or workout duration. Additionally, the built-in Gear S heart rate monitor can now supply data to Endomondo.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
So no one has tried this on the Gear S yet? I am ready to pull the trigger on the Gear S because of this. im an avid Endomondo user........

COPENHAGEN, Denmark – Oct. 8, 2014 – After releasing updates earlier this year for Samsung Gear Fit and Gear 2, Garmin, TomTom and Pebble iOS users; the popular Endomondo Sports Tracker app now integrates today with Android Wear devices, as well as the Samsung Gear S smartwatch.

The free Android Wear update delivers a total of six real-time fitness stats across three screens. A simple swipe lets users move through data, and information can be assigned to different pages with ease. Further, the integration allows people to easily start/pause/stop a workout while on the go.

The Samsung Gear S integration works similarly, but allows users to select between a total of nine configurable stats such as speed, distance or workout duration. Additionally, the built-in Gear S heart rate monitor can now supply data to Endomondo.

Never used it before, but just downloaded it for the Gear S. It then prompted me to download it on my phone, but even before I signed up for an account on my phone, it was ready to track my run on the watch.
Out of the box, without a phone connected to it, it is preset on running (someone please confirm), and it has three preset screens or "Views", that you can swipe right/left to see:
View 1: duration, distance and speed.
View 2: Calories, pace
view 3: HR
If you connect the phone, in the app, you can select your device under settings (support for Gear S indeed), then set up what you want to see on the three different Views for the watch - each View has three zones that you can assign a metric to.

Let me know what else you need me to test exactly, and I'll do it.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Never used it before, but just downloaded it for the Gear S. It then prompted me to download it on my phone, but even before I signed up for an account on my phone, it was ready to track my run on the watch.
Out of the box, without a phone connected to it, it is preset on running (someone please confirm), and it has three preset screens or "Views", that you can swipe right/left to see:
View 1: duration, distance and speed.
View 2: Calories, pace
view 3: HR
If you connect the phone, in the app, you can select your device under settings (support for Gear S indeed), then set up what you want to see on the three different Views for the watch - each View has three zones that you can assign a metric to.

Let me know what else you need me to test exactly, and I'll do it.
It requires your phone for the GPS tracking of the run.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I've tried it. It looks great! 3 pages of stats that can be tailored to your own preference just like my trusty Garmin. Only problem is it relies on you carrying your phone still for the GPS. That's pointless to me as it defeats the purpose of the Gear S being a phone and GPS fitness tracker in one. I'd be as well still using my Garmin and phone combo as it would do the same job and save the battery on my Gear S

sent from my Galaxy s5

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well this was a disappointing response

sent from my Galaxy s5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-05-11-41-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-05-11-41-33.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 32

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering if Samsung is blocking that development to push the s health app? Which would be OK if they had a endomondo style website/phone app to go with it.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if Samsung is blocking that development to push the s health app? Which would be OK if they had a endomondo style website/phone app to go with it.

No. Nike + works. Standalone is something developers have to trigger in the app. That's why there a SDK just for the Gear S

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Well this was a disappointing response
This sucks. I 'm assuming most runners who bought the Gear S did it so they can run without an additional phone, but don't think endomondo even get what the Gear S is as compared to other Gear devices. To them, it's just another version of the gear they have to ensure compatibility for.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what your definition of a runner is. I'm a runner and cant imagine an activity tracker watch replacing my dedicated Running/Tri computers(ie watches). You can use Nike + but since it does not work with my HRM+ it's of no use. Same goes for S-Health. I also don't get the 'not wanting to run with phone.....' I run with my Note 4 either in pocket or in a arm band - no problem.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what your definition of a runner is. I'm a runner and cant imagine an activity tracker watch replacing my dedicated Running/Tri computers(ie watches). You can use Nike + but since it does not work with my HRM+ it's of no use. Same goes for S-Health. I also don't get the 'not wanting to run with phone.....' I run with my Note 4 either in pocket or in a arm band - no problem.
Because different runners like to run differently. I'm enjoying not having to have my s5 on me. A watch tan line is better than a phone shaped tan line.

denilsonsantos

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been using S heath app without problems. It replaced my Garmin 610. Nike+ is not working properly, each mile means 0.8 miles, I mean too generous. S heath is close to garmin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dragoslavst