Running hot after 5.0.1

jgenco78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I received the 5.0.1 update yesterday OTA on my N4. After I downloaded and installed my battery was sucked from 97% to 9% and my device was running extremely hot. I shut it down and charged it up then flashed it back to 5.0 and I am still running pretty hot. Battery life seems normal but still running hot. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

jeckyll71

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I had problems with this when my apn settings were not correct (set to an LTE apn vs. 3G). Maybe worth checking to ensure they match your providers recommendations. Once I changed them the problem disappeared.

jeckyll71

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue with my phone running smoking hot and draining the battery after my apn settings got reset and it was set to a LTE apn, instead of 3G.

Once I updated to the providers recommended settings for the Nexus 4 the problem went away. Might be worth verifying your settings.

Good luck

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I received the 5.0.1 update yesterday OTA on my N4. After I downloaded and installed my battery was sucked from 97% to 9% and my device was running extremely hot. I shut it down and charged it up then flashed it back to 5.0 and I am still running pretty hot. Battery life seems normal but still running hot. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted via the Android Central App
If your device is getting hot and draining the battery, you most likely have an app that is misbehaving for some reason, it might not have gotten it's cache converted properly, it might be stuck in a process loop, or it might be incompatible for some reason. First try clearing your cache in the stock recovery and let it rebuild, this process can take a lot of time, possibly 30+ minutes for the first boot depending on your environment. If it still continues install WakeLock Detector and see if an app is holding the device awake or waking it often (for this type of battery drain it will be awake all the time, or being woken tens of thousands of times per day), and delete and reinstall the problem app.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the post above. It could be app related. I'd suggest flashing 5.0.1 and not installing any apps. Let it run for a few days and see if the problem reoccurs. If not, then it's app related. Reinstall apps and keep an eye on the problem. If it returns after installing a certain app you can hopefully narrow it down to the last app installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692