S10 refuses to connect to LTE when wifi is on

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently got an unlocked s10, under Straight Talk utilizing Verizon towers. Got the phone set up and connected, but once I turn on my wifi, it loses mobile connection. It is as if one cannot operate if the other is on. To get LTE back on I have to turn wifi off and sometines reboot or toggle airplane mode. Straight talk couldn't figure out the issue.

I am up to date on software. i don't know if it is a hardware issue, or what. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and have google it for hours....Any ideas?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I recently got an unlocked s10, under Straight Talk utilizing Verizon towers. Got the phone set up and connected, but once I turn on my wifi, it loses mobile connection. It is as if one cannot operate if the other is on. To get LTE back on I have to turn wifi off and sometines reboot or toggle airplane mode. Straight talk couldn't figure out the issue.

I am up to date on software. i don't know if it is a hardware issue, or what. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and have google it for hours....Any ideas?
That sounds normal to me how your explaining it, if your on wifi you won't see mobile data until your away from wifi , if you toggle WiFi off manually in your pull down notification panel does mobile data show up?

Tbird110

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for that link. It appears that straight talk says my s10 isn't "wifi calling capable". I assume the phone has that capability, so I am wondering if it is the SIM card that isn't capable?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Going back to what mustang7757 said earlier, when your wi-fi is on, the phone will prefer to use wi-fi over 4G LTE for your data connection, so this seems to be normal behavior. Are you noticing any problems with connection when you're on wi-fi? Or are you saying that after you turn off wi-fi, the 4G LTE signal doesn't return?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Activate your Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone, then tapping Build Number seven times. Now go back to the main system settings and go to the Developer Options. Do you see an option called something like "Mobile data always on while on wi-fi"? If so, make sure that's turned on.

Tbird110

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for that suggestion. I went to developer options, and that "mobile data always on while on wifi" was not enabled. I have now enabled it. However after rebooting, I still don't have LTE connectivity:(

Tbird110

Aug 11, 2021
Visit site
Well... I was feeling a little deflated with the situation and thinking I was going to have to return my phone. But for some reason this morning the LTE and wifi are working normally! I am not sure what happened over night....

Thank you all for your expertise and assistance!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1