S10 to S21: FIrst impressions.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just replaced my S10 with the new S21 (which I received 2 days ago) and here are my first impressions:

1. Love the flat screen! Reminds me of my old LG G6 which I really liked.
  2. Weight of the phone feels just slightly heavier than my S10. The overall size of the phones are about the same, but the S21 is very slightly taller.
  3. The screen scrolling is noticeably smoother on the new S21, which I really like.
  4. The Android 11, One UI 3.1 on the S21 seems subtly different from the S10. Everything is good!
  5. I had an issue with Google Calendar crashing on start up, but after a reinstall and reboot it has been working fine again.
  6. Screen is bright and colorful. Seems slight to moderately better than my S10.
  7. No headphone jack on the S21, so had to use a headphone jack-to-USBC adapter with my S10's earbuds. Works fine.
  8. Fingerprint sensor works great! It's super fast compared to my S10, and unlocks on the first try almost 98% of the time. Works like the non-screen fingerprint sensors on my previous phones.
  9. Has "Fast Charging" and "Super Fast Charging" settings for USB-C wired charging. When calculating wattage during charging (using the app "Ampere" and multiplying the measured voltage x amps), I get a max of about 12W. I believe the S21 should go up to 25W charging.
  10. Has "Wireless Charging" and "Fast Wireless Charging" options for wireless charging. Did the same wattage test using the "Ampere" app and got a max wattage of about 6W. Wasn't able to get the advertised 15W for the S21.
  11. The battery life seems good, but I haven't been able to test it away from my home for any extended amount of time.
  12. AT&T 5G Speeds seems pretty fast. I was able to get 152 Mbps download and 3.56 Mbps upload.
  13. The plastic back of the S21 feels cheap to me (especially when you tap it). Since I use a silicone case, it's not a problem for me.
  14. The S21 on/off and volume buttons have a louder click sound than the S10.
  15. The Samsung silicone case fits perfectly on my S21 and gives it the right amount of rubbery grip so my phone doesn't tend to slip from my hand.
So in all, I'm glad I upgraded from the S10 to the S21 (especially since I pre-ordered and got $550 trade-in for my S10 and $160 worth of free accessories). My S10 was working great for me, but it's nice to have a new phone with a fresh and bigger battery that can access the 5G AT&T network. Also, I could have gotten the S21 absolutely for free through AT&T's trade in offer of $800 for my S10, but I would have to commit to keeping the phone and line for 30 months before I could upgrade again.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for the review and for the initial impressions! I LOVE that the screen reminded you of the LG G6 - that makes me want to get it, right there! I'm happy that the screen scrolling and fingerprint sensor seem to be efficient, as well. It's sounding like it's shaping up to be a pretty awesome device!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for the review and for the initial impressions! I LOVE that the screen reminded you of the LG G6 - that makes me want to get it, right there! I'm happy that the screen scrolling and fingerprint sensor seem to be efficient, as well. It's sounding like it's shaping up to be a pretty awesome device!

Me and my husband have S10 pluses and we're going to the Ultra but for some reason we can't seem to get our phones even though we pre-ordered and did the RSVP. There's a problem getting Verizon 512 phones

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Me and my husband have S10 pluses and we're going to the Ultra but for some reason we can't seem to get our phones even though we pre-ordered and did the RSVP. There's a problem getting Verizon 512 phones

Rose, I got mine yesterday, on schedule though shipped a day late (28th). I ordered on the 15th and am in New England

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
We ordered through Samsung on the 15th. Our Shop App said will ship week of the 27th and online it said expected ship date the 29th all this time until yesterday. Now the shop app went to the 29th and online we have no expected date at all. His cancel button went away last week mine last night. Now all I see online is expedited and no ship date. Chat person said we have 2 wait to business days to hear from someone. I did call Verizon to see their time frame in getting one and she said Feb. 5th so we decided to wait it out. Like I said too many freebies and I just got another $50 code to use.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the in-depth review. I feel similar on many thoughts. I am considering going back to my S10 though, as I'm having trouble finding a case for the S21 that I like and it's too slippery to go naked. I need a case that doesn't come all the way up the sides and I can't stand feeling a case when typing letters by the edge of the screen.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Try the Spigen line of cases, I've had excellent luck with that brand!

Yes, I purchased the Spigen Thin Fit for S21 but it still comes up the sides and has a ridge above the phone screen. Looking for a super thin case that doesn't cover the edge of the screen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Please keep us posted on your situation! Hopefully everything works out for you and your husband! How did you like using your S10+ devices?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Please keep us posted on your situation! Hopefully everything works out for you and your husband! How did you like using your S10+ devices?

We loved our S10 + except for the fact that It was a known hardware problem lots of the s10's had trouble with signal. They wouldn't give me or my husband new phones his was so bad and we had switched from Sprint to Verizon with unlocked phones and his signal still was so bad.

Mine wasn't as bad but he ended up turning his back in and getting a new motherboard put on and all the sudden he had the best signal everywhere. Where he had no signal with Sprint at his job and no signal with the messed up phone he had great signal after they fixed his phone. And I screwed up cuz I didn't want to turn mine in It wasn't as bad as his and now I regret it cuz my pictures take forever to send texts don't send a lot of times I have to keep hitting retry. That's the main reason I wanted to upgrade the S10 is a great phone. But yeah I know it's my phone cuz when he has signal and I don't and I have to go into airplane mode for 30 seconds and back out.

But anyway sorry I'm rambling and I've told that story already on another thread or two oops. But anyway he's supposed to get his phone tomorrow and me Wednesday or Thursday so we're excited. The S10 Plus was one of the best phones we've ever had I loved it when I first got it. And I even got new SIM cards reset my network settings reset my whole phone. And still my signals not the best. But I loved the phone and should of turned mine in too.