S21 or Pixel 5?

coop3422

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I have an S10 and have been itching to get a new phone for a while, but there's nothing out there that checks all the boxes. My S10 is nice, but I've never really like the ultrasonic fps. Otherwise, it's been fine. Pictures of my daughter moving can at times be blurry.

I like just about everything about the P5, just wish it didn't have a SD765. I've had a P1XL, P2XL and a P3. All good phones, but gave up on them for 1 reason or another. My P3 was the perfect size, but the battery was a train wreck. I love that they brought back the rear mounted fps, but will miss the telephoto which I do use a fair bit. I can get a black one (I wanted sage) for $590 CAD through work, but it'll take 3-4 weeks (stock has been tough to find in Canada).

I wish they gave more S21 color options, they're all neutral or feminine IMO. The said, I'd likely go phantom violet. Losing the microSD is a bummer, but I'm currently at 94GB out of the 128GB on my S10, so I'll likely be okay. I don't care about the plastic back, and a 1080p screen is fine as that's all my S10 has been set to, I care more about finally getting 120hz (or 90hz, whatever). They upgraded the ultrasonic fps, but will is actually be that much better than my S10? I have my doubts. I can get one of these for $890, plus it comes with a pair of Galaxy Buds Live which I actually bought a pair a few weeks ago that I could return for $150. So at the end of the day, I could get a new S21 for ~$740 CAD.

The $150 difference is negligible. I also assume the S21 will have worse battery life due to the processor difference. But maybe that difference leads to better performance now and down the road. I'd like to see a battery improvement compared to my S10, which is decent. I use Samsung Pay, but I assume Google Pay in Canada would be about the same?

What do you all think? I'm really torn. I keep leaning toward the P5, but there's just a couple things that keep making me unsure; losing the telephoto, weaker processor, S21 design is nicer and is the "new shiny toy", I'm already in the Samsung ecosystem for my work and personal phone, the P5 "looks boring", 90 vs 120hz, etc. But, if the S21 ultrasonic fps is similar performance to my S10 (multiple attempts, having to key in my code a few times/day, etc), then I really don't want to deal with that for another year or 2. But at least it come in a color and isn't "just black".

*Shrug*, like I said, I'm torn. Would love to get some thoughts, feedback, etc. Thanks!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I use Samsung Pay, but I assume Google Pay in Canada would be about the same?
It'll be no different between the Pixel 5 and S21. I read that Samsung is dropping MST from the S21, MST is is the technology that allowed Samsung Pay to work at terminals that don't support NFC.

coop3422

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It'll be no different between the Pixel 5 and S21. I read that Samsung is dropping MST from the S21, MST is is the technology that allowed Samsung Pay to work at terminals that don't support NFC.

Great to know, thank you. I've been thinking about the ecosystem specific things I use that might be lost going back to Pixel, and that was likely the most significant.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central!

I've used both Pixel and Samsung, like you have, and so I understand your hesitation to go for one over the other. Personally, I think you'd be happy with either.

With regards to the Pixel, I do believe you'd be getting the better camera. Image stabilization on Pixels seems to be way better than on Samsungs, I've noticed (that being said, I haven't seen the S21's camera performance as of yet). Also, the weaker processor may not be very noticeable at all. Do you run a lot of games or apps on your phone?

With regards to Samsung, I can definitely understand being wrapped up in Samsung's UI/ecosystem. I LOVE Samsung's UI and all of the little tweaks they give you. It would definitely be hard for me to think about switching, too!

As always, please keep us posted on what you decide!

coop3422

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central!

I've used both Pixel and Samsung, like you have, and so I understand your hesitation to go for one over the other. Personally, I think you'd be happy with either.

With regards to the Pixel, I do believe you'd be getting the better camera. Image stabilization on Pixels seems to be way better than on Samsungs, I've noticed (that being said, I haven't seen the S21's camera performance as of yet). Also, the weaker processor may not be very noticeable at all. Do you run a lot of games or apps on your phone?

With regards to Samsung, I can definitely understand being wrapped up in Samsung's UI/ecosystem. I LOVE Samsung's UI and all of the little tweaks they give you. It would definitely be hard for me to think about switching, too!

As always, please keep us posted on what you decide!

Thanks for the reply. I think my account is quite old, but haven't been here much lol.

Good to know on the image stabilization. I never really noticed until my daughter started to really move around. Now she's 15 months and everywhere, and I noticed blurry pictures fairly often.

As for what I do, when I really thought about it, it's not demanding. The basics, and the only games I really play are clash of clans, and golf rivals. Hardly what I'd consider intensive. I have a bunch of others downloaded but never play them. I've been working from home since last March so if I actually have time to play a game, I go to the XSX.

Knowing that Google pay should work the same as Samsung pay takes a lot of worry out of changing ecosystems. Samsung Knox is the only other, and that's only because it knows every password I have from the past 2 years lol.

I'm hoping we see some S21 reviews soon. That should answer how the stabilization is, and if the new ultrasonic sensor is actually improved.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think my account is quite old, but haven't been here much lol.

Good to know on the image stabilization. I never really noticed until my daughter started to really move around. Now she's 15 months and everywhere, and I noticed blurry pictures fairly often.

As for what I do, when I really thought about it, it's not demanding. The basics, and the only games I really play are clash of clans, and golf rivals. Hardly what I'd consider intensive. I have a bunch of others downloaded but never play them. I've been working from home since last March so if I actually have time to play a game, I go to the XSX.

Knowing that Google pay should work the same as Samsung pay takes a lot of worry out of changing ecosystems. Samsung Knox is the only other, and that's only because it knows every password I have from the past 2 years lol.

I'm hoping we see some S21 reviews soon. That should answer how the stabilization is, and if the new ultrasonic sensor is actually improved.

You're welcome! And welcome back to the forums!

I can definitely see what you are saying with regards to image stabilization. I'm a preschool teacher and trying to get pictures of the kids for documentation purposes is very difficult with our Samsung work tablet. Images are often blurry. But when you *do* get a good photo, it's a GOOD photo.

If your basic usage isn't very processor-intensive, perhaps you don't need the latest and greatest processor/Snapdragon. Last year's processor will often load your games and apps just as well, and the difference is only slightly negligible.

With regards to reviews, there is a thread on here about some hands-on reviews of the S21; and some about the camera performance. GSM Arena has also done a review of the device. Check it out! :)

coop3422

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I was reading last night and it sounded like the embargo lifted today and now there's a bunch of reviews. I haven't been the most productive lol. But damn if I'm not more unsure. One review said S21 battery life was eh, okay. Another said the pixel 5 had some performance issues, but nearly the entire comment section pushed back lol. I wish there was an upcoming phone or 2 worth waiting for, but it seems nothing is on the horizon.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I was reading last night and it sounded like the embargo lifted today and now there's a bunch of reviews. I haven't been the most productive lol. But damn if I'm not more unsure. One review said S21 battery life was eh, okay. Another said the pixel 5 had some performance issues, but nearly the entire comment section pushed back lol. I wish there was an upcoming phone or 2 worth waiting for, but it seems nothing is on the horizon.

Oh yes, reviews will often make you even more confused! And different reviewers will say different things. Everyone will have a bit of a different user experience when it comes to reviewing phones!

Yes, I agree with you! Last year and definitely a year and a half ago, I had so much trouble picking out a new phone; because there were so many options that would have worked well for me. Now, not much is out that peaks my interest.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a phantom violet S21. Hope the new ultrasonic reader is indeed improved.

PLEASE post unboxing pictures when it arrives! Phantom Violet sounds gorgeous! I too hope the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor has been improved! I'm also really interested to hear how the camera fares.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr