S4 battery vs iPhone 4 battery.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I went out with my friend today who has an iPhone 4 & I have an S4. My S4 battery lasted half a day but luckily I have a portable charger which I used. Her battery only dropped 9%. Any ideas why my battery just goes? Do I need a new battery? Or was it all the messages I got during the day drain my battery. The messages I have are from Facebook & twitter only. Noticed my phone was awake a lot in the battery stats & one wake lock has kept my phone awake for one whole day which I think is draining my battery.

Thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated as my phone use to last a whole day. I've hardly been on my phone too. I noticed Google play services was at the top of the battery stats screen :/

Running lollipop 5.0.1

Posted via Android Central App

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Here are some screen shots. Dunno if anyone can make sense of them.

Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-50-45.jpg

Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-50-58.jpg

Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-52-21.jpg

Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-51-34.jpg

Hope these help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-51-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-25-22-51-51.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
iPhones will almost always win in battery comparisons--at least when it comes to standby. Remember that Apple can completely optimize iOS for their one device, while there are hundreds of different Android devices out there with different hardware.

Your cell signal might be the problem--it's red fairly often, and your screenshot shows no bars. Poor cell signal causes the phone to work harder to find signal, which takes battery.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 is going to get better battery life just because it is so outdated in terms of specs. The screen is tiny. It doesn't support LTE. You're comparing a device that is 3 years older than yours, with really outdated hardware and a really old version of iOS.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Thought android would win in standby mode seems Samsung did that advert about iPhone users being wall huggers always having to charge there phone. I feel like a wall hugger at the mo. Is there anyway to improve my signal apart from switching carriers? Got till April next year with this phone. Just want it to last all day like it use too. Would turning sync off help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those ads are about the Note 4 or the S6, not the S4.

You can't improve cell signal if you're outside your house. If you have poor cell signal at home, you can ask your carrier if they have signal boosters available. T-Mobile offers them for free--not sure about other carriers. Turning sync off won't help much, because it's the actual cell signal that's poor (i.e., the voice signal, not mobile data). You'd have to change to Airplane Mode save battery in areas of poor signal.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok will have to ask EE if they have a signal booster. Hope so coz I dint want that draining my battery. Couldn't believe my phone was draining quite fast during the day.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
A weak signal or wifi signal can make my phone warm and decrease battery life! If you are carrying your phone in a purse, other things around it could shield the signal. Some apps stay on even after you leave them. Navigation apps use gps and screen time and stay on unless you turn them off. I often hold the Home button a couple seconds and hit Close All to be sure nothing is running in the background!

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I closed all my apps when I was out so nothing was running. GPS is off but since updating to lollipop I can't find it to make sure it's off. My location settings are set to power saving mode. My phone was in my pocket when I was out so maybe when I sat down I blocked the signal. My phone lasted all day today as I only went out for a few hours to shop. When connected to wifi my phone lasts all day it's only when I go out & use mobile data that it drains faster.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faq7205