S6 Active Button activates at the slightest touch in pocket or purse. HELP?!

Jo Anna Welsh-Rios

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
So, I have to admit that I have NOT read the user manual and the AT&T store was pretty useless when I bought it so I have been fumbling my way through. I upgraded from the S4 so I have the basics down but I am having one problem that is really driving me bonkers. I keep my phone in my pocket or in pocket in my purse and even the slightest bump against the active button launches the program. It usually goes straight to barometer and tries to search for the barometric pressure, sometimes it activates the flashlight, etc etc. It is causing a battery drain and it is just a nuisance. Does anybody know how to lock the phone so that it doesn't turn on when you brush up against the Active button?

Thanks!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There is a setting for the active button that you can turn off so when the screen is locked the active key will not activate. I do see how the active button getting pressed in your pocket would be annoying.

It is in the settings under active key

Posted via my S6 Active!

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem with the power button on my S5 Active. It would turn on (or off) the display with the ever so slightest touch.

I bought one of those extremely thin covers primarily to prevent scratches and to provide a little more grip because the naked S5 Active is so slippery. A nice side affect was that it provided a little more resistance for the power button that I stopped accidentally pushing it.

Here is the case I have for the S5A:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPWSU82...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4568291

I am sure a there are similar cases for the S6 Active by now. Maybe you could give one of these a try?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active using the Tapatalk app

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with both the S5 Active and my S6 Active, both were solved by picking up a a couple of Casemate bumpers at the AT&T store for about $15.00. The open back ones, NOT the Naked Tough full coverage ones, it's slippery as heck, and the buttons push just as easily as an uncovered phone.

Jo Anna Welsh-Rios

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I will check it out.

Damn. I keep going here and it won't do anything. I should mention that this is my SECOND S6 Active. My first one was a "dud" according to AT&T.

Last edited by a moderator:

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Damn. I keep going here and it won't do anything. I should mention that this is my SECOND S6 Active. My first one was a "dud" according to AT&T.

I can only suggest that you get a belt clip to secure your phone in your purse pocket. That is what I had my wife do to keep phantom touches from happening.

My phone has to have a pretty good push to activate any of the buttons on it,but you can set your screen off timer to the minimum and turn off the activity button both in the settings to minimize your problems and reduce the battery drain.

Personally if your buttons are that sensitive I would return it and make sure you try out different ones at that store or a different store before you accept it if you are in your 14 day return time frame.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

oksyl

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a S6 Active and learned quickly that the active button is not able to be deactivated. I have large hands, and every time I handled the phone I would activate the active button, go button or what ever they call it. I scoured the interned looking for and answer on how to deactivate the button. No suggestions were available. I finally got frustrated and decided to just remove the button. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and carefully removed the button. That means I tugged and didnt yank. there is a small piece of rubber attached, so using a utility knife, I cut the rubber and . . . .the button is now removed. The ony lproblem was a small hole where the button used to be. I found a wide rubber band, I trimed it to size and tucked it into the hole. I went to the auto parts store and bought a tube of Black Silicone. I carefully taped off the area surrounding the hole, and filled it with Black Silicone. I then used some plastic food wrap I stretched tight and placed it over the silicone to make the surface smooth. Let set overnight, slowly remove the plastic and hole is now filled. There were no effects to the phone operation/ Now I can happily handle the phone without swearing about the darn active button. :)

yawfle

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
An additional tactile button is one of the coolest features of this phone in my opinion; it's extremely useful for things like checking a map with one hand, without having to mess with a touchscreen. I agree that the phone is completely unusable out-of-the-box, though, because of too-easily-activated buttons. My solution was to get a thin TPU type case (the one from Tudia is the best I've found so far) and cut out its button areas with a hobby knife, leaving the actual buttons slightly recessed. I additionally put some cloth tape over the button holes and the tactile buttons below the screen (since the home button was a little too easy to activate accidentally, too) and now I have a phone that can check maps, take pictures, and function as a flashlight without ever having to touch the screen.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a S6 Active and learned quickly that the active button is not able to be deactivated. I have large hands, and every time I handled the phone I would activate the active button, go button or what ever they call it. I scoured the interned looking for and answer on how to deactivate the button. No suggestions were available. I finally got frustrated and decided to just remove the button. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and carefully removed the button. That means I tugged and didnt yank. there is a small piece of rubber attached, so using a utility knife, I cut the rubber and . . . .the button is now removed. The ony lproblem was a small hole where the button used to be. I found a wide rubber band, I trimed it to size and tucked it into the hole. I went to the auto parts store and bought a tube of Black Silicone. I carefully taped off the area surrounding the hole, and filled it with Black Silicone. I then used some plastic food wrap I stretched tight and placed it over the silicone to make the surface smooth. Let set overnight, slowly remove the plastic and hole is now filled. There were no effects to the phone operation/ Now I can happily handle the phone without swearing about the darn active button. :)

So I'm sitting here thinking and came up with the idea. 1. Select an app that you never use and assign it to the short press function on the active key 2. Use Package Disabler to disable the app you just assigned.

Its a simple work around. You'll see the notification at the bottom of the screen "No apps can perform this action" for 2 seconds each time you press it. (Its better than launching an app and having to back out of it.)

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a really slim case and thst helps. It is stiff over the button areas so it requires some force to click it.

mrgoxbin

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
So I'm sitting here thinking and came up with the idea. 1. Select an app that you never use and assign it to the short press function on the active key 2. Use Package Disabler to disable the app you just assigned.

Its a simple work around. You'll see the notification at the bottom of the screen "No apps can perform this action" for 2 seconds each time you press it. (Its better than launching an app and having to back out of it.)

Genius, thanks!

soogriff

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I disabled the active key on lock screen too. I also have my phone in the iblason armor case and it has hard enough rubber along the edge that I don't have to worry about accidental button press anymore. It's kind of a thick case, and I'm sure you can find something thinner that may help too.

theShiz

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Go to the app store and look for a 'screen off' application and link it to that application. That way when you press it, it will just turn the screen off instead. Try to find one that doesn't require any special permissions. Make sure to leave the active key setting to on when screen is off, that way it will just turn right back off. If you leave it off the screen will still come on.

Posted via the GS6 Active, aka GS6 M.E. (Manly Edition)

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I always keep my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my thigh. So am I going to be constantly pushing these buttons and unlocking it in my pocket? If so, the search for the perfect Android device continues.... :( :( :(