S7 - Would Samsung double sales if they offered a stock Android version?

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
They offered stock Android s7
And touch wiz versions

So add a new version?

I think yes

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: would Samsung double sales if?

I think it would be negligible. The average Samsung consumer doesn't even know what stock Android is.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

And touch wiz versions

So add a new version?

I think yes

Samsung have already tried that on earlier Galaxy models and it failed miserably. Would you, for instance, buy the Galaxy S7 Edge, without TouchWiz, that ran a stock android Google camera or did not utilise the edge features?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Not really... They offered developer versions in the past and they didn't sell well.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Would Samsung double sales if they offered a stock Android version?

TouchWiz is one of the reasons I stick with Samsung

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

The average consumer doesn't care about stock Android and DOES care about all the extras Touchwiz offers.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

The average consumer doesn't care about stock Android and DOES care about all the extras Touchwiz offers.

The average consumer doesn't know that there is a skin on their phone called Touchwiz.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Samsung have already tried that on earlier Galaxy models and it failed miserably. Would you, for instance, buy the Galaxy S7 Edge, without TouchWiz, that ran a stock android Google camera or did not utilise the edge features?

Well that's something I would like. Tbh

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

The average consumer doesn't know that there is a skin on their phone called Touchwiz.

Exactly what I'm saying. But they like the features of a Samsung phone, many of which are available because of Touchwiz.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
nope wouldn't touch sales one bit. As stated they tried the developer edition and no one really cared much . It wasn't worth it for them, hence its gone.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
No no. Not even close. My job is to promote these devices in a retail store. I can tell you that ~99% of customers do not care in the slightest that it is not running stock Android.

There are a few who will openly state their dislike for Touchwiz but the vast majority are not even aware of the difference!

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The average consumer thinks Samsung as a brand is an actual OS. They barely know what android is. At least it's like that here in Australia. It's either Apple or Samsung, people get disgusted at the thought of an HTC or LG or Sony.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I would dare to say that they might actually lose sales. People might would be confused. If they saw the stock one and didn't know there was a TouchWiz version, they might see that one isn't like their old phone and go with something different. People think that Samsung IS android. A drastic change or a confusing lineup could lead to less of a following.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Indeed, it'd create massive confusion amongst the average customer. People really hate change, we're creatures of habit.

For all the added sales they'd get from Android enthusiasts (maybe 1% of the population?), they'd lose so many people who would notice the massive changes to Samsung UI, absolutely panic and go straight back to the safe familiarity of Apple.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Having had a Nexus 6 and a Droid Turbo 2 with minimal Moto, I like the clean, stock android look. When I get my S7 Edge, I will go into Themes and apply the Material Design theme, then add the Google Now Launcher.

Martog

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
It would honestly not affect their sales as far as increasing them dramatically.

I'm looking to come from a 950 XL and while the S7 Edge is tempting, I want a carrier unbranded phone and stock android for the sake of updates and a clean experience, which honestly leaves me with few choices on the Android side or bounce back over to iOS which I flipped from to WP years ago.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
And touch wiz versions

So add a new version?

I think yes

No. I quite like Touchwiz. How terrible it is greatly exaggerated.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The average consumer thinks Samsung as a brand is an actual OS. They barely know what android is. At least it's like that here in Australia. It's either Apple or Samsung, people get disgusted at the thought of an HTC or LG or Sony.

There are still plenty of people that don't know the OS is named Android and still think they bought a Droid phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emma22