S8 video size is so much smaller than S6, WHY?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I make videos for facebook and youtube etc, where I play guitar and sing. I used to use my S6 andI fitted into the shot no problem at all with space above my head. Now though with my S8 and the phone sitting in it's usual place, I can see me from knees to chin vertically. WTF? You'd think that the S8 being the later model in the S series could at least manage the same aspect ration as it's previous version the S6, but not a chance. What the hell are Samsung all about? How is worse better? Jeez.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Video doesn't use the entire camera sensor, it usually crops in to match the required number of pixels for recording. Assuming you are using the front camera to watch yourself as you record Samsung went from a 5mp selfie camera on the S6 to an 8mp selfie camera on the S8, which results in a different crop factor. Assuming the field of view for both lenses are the same for photos, it would be normal for the S8 to have a smaller field of view in video when it crops to a smaller portion of the sensor.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
This does not sound like a problem with whichever phone you're using but more a matter of spending some time to set up and configure the Camera app you're using. Adjustments to things like resolution will affect the not just image quality but sizing and cropping. Also, don't do direct one-to-one comparisons of the display screens of your S6 (1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio) and your S8 (1440 x 2960 pixels, 18 1/2:9 ratio) as they are different from each other.
S6 specs
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-6849.php
S8 specs
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php
Adjust the Camera app so it zooms out to capture an expanded image to include more up and down. This will also add more left and right but you can crop out what you don't want to include afterwards. The S6 apparently has a better main camera module than the S8, and the S8 has a better selfie camera module, so factor that in as far as resolution issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08