S9+ corrupting PDF attachments when forwarding

Dan BC

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Android 9.0.0
Samsung email app Version 6.0.02.12

When forwarding a PDF attachment from this phone, regardless of the actual attachment size, only a 64B file will be forwarded.

When trying to open that forwarded file, there is an error message saying something is wrong with the file. Clearly the 64B is a corrupted file so it wont open anywhere.

If i tap on 'save' on the PDF file before forwarding, then the PDF is forwarded correctly and all other devices can open it.

I already enabled 'auto-download attachments' on the app settings but it didn't make a difference.

This started happening a few weeks ago. Anyone else encountered this problem?

EDIT: I don't know why i can't respond to the answer given in this topic. i dont see any reply option. very strange.

Anyway, Rukbat mentioned the phone should not matter, only the carrier does. But if i do the same thing on an iPhone on the same network. the forwards works just fine.
I am not doing anything special here. Just forwarding an email with a PDF attachment.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Forwarding in email or as a text attachment? Text attachments are compressed, using lossy compression, which you can't do with a binary file like an app or a pdf file. (The compression is carrier-level if it's a text attachment, so the phone dosn't matter, the carrier does.)

Dan BC

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Ok, NOW i see the reply option and so will re-comment here:

If i do the same thing on an iPhone on the same network/carrier. the forwards works just fine.
I am not doing anything special here. Just forwarding an email with a PDF attachment.

STL_Android

Apr 26, 2019
Visit site
We are having the same issue with our Android S9's & 1 S10 as well, did you ever find a fix for it? If we manually download the attachment before forwarding, then it works without issue, but if the user just forwards the email with PDF attachment, it's always corrupted. I verified the versions are the same on the phones, but checking for updates doesn't find anything. These are brand new phones as well.

email v6.0.02.12

I'm running the same version, v6.0.02.12, with the same carrier on an S7 and don't have any issues.

Jallredlegal

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Hello!

Is there any update on this? We are facing the same issue with one user. A power user that needs this feature.
Did you ever find success?