Samsung galaxy a32 as a constant hotspot? Advice please?

Konsider

May 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi :)
I'm looking to get a phone which I can use as a constant hotspot and the main source of my net connection. Having looked around, it seems the Samsung Galaxy a32 might be a good choice. I am just a bit concerned about overheating. Would there be any issues using this phone as a hotspot for daily (and nightly) internet connection? Or, are there any other phones that are particularly good for this purpose (preferably 5g)
Thanks for any advice :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to buy something, why not just buy a purpose-built device? You're going to wear out the battery in any phone surprisingly fast by doing that. What about the Galaxy A32 are you seeing that makes it seem like a good choice? Shoot - you can get full WiFi routers that will accept a SIM card to use for an internet connection.

Konsider

May 13, 2022
Visit site
I just thought it would be a good option seeing as my SIM gets unlimited calls/texts too, plus it might be handy to be able to use it out and about in future. But, maybe the SIM router might be a better option :) Thanks for your advice!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which carrier are you on? Most carriers limit how much hotspot data you can use per month, even with an unlimited data plan.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which carrier are you on? Most carriers limit how much hotspot data you can use per month, even with an unlimited data plan.
Yeah...and also if a user abuses the Hotspot feature, they may get Kicked-Off of the Carrier. So the OP needs to be careful of that.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
If you looking for fixed Internet connection for WiFi, I'd recommend you avoid using any smartphone's hotspot to do something like be an actual router replacement.
Hotspot as a feature in a phone has always been intended to be used as a convenience measure, something to implement when a better option for WiFi isn't available.
-- Hotspotting is not only going to heat up your phone a bit more than usual, more importantly is its a significant power draw on the battery. So yeah, plan on leaving it plugged into a power source constantly or frequently.
-- The WiFi signal emitted by a smartphone hotspot is limited by coverage range. A typical household router has larger and often multiple antennas, the antenna inside a phone is a tiny piece of wire so set your expectations on coverage accordingly.
-- Expect a decrease in the number of devices you can connect to your hotspot WiFi network, and there are going to be restrictions as to manipulating DNS options, security settings, etc. An actual home router will handle all kinds of varied routing functions, a smartphone hotspot by design has a much more limited feature set.

I'd give up trying to repurpose a phone to be a router, either look into paying for a broadband service from an ISP so you'll be able to use an actual router device, or look into something like T-Mobile's cellular-based WiFi router.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/4/23057170/t-mobile-5g-home-internet-test-drive-free

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63