Samsung Galaxy S10 - autorotate not working

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Starting a few days ago, the auto rotate function no longer works. In the quick settings, auto rotate is selected and the color is blue. However, the phone will not rotate. When I unselect auto rotate, it doesn’t work; when I reselect it it still doesn’t work. I have tried restarting the phone several times.

I then found a setting for the Home Screen called “rotate to landscape mode.” I turned the setting off, and this allowed the screen to rotate when the phone was rotated – but only horizontally. If I turn the phone upside down, the screen would not rotate with it. I have turned the “rotate to landscape” mode setting off, and, oddly, the phone will now rotate to landscape mode when using apps and on the home screen – but it still refuses to flip 180° vertically when the phone is turned upside down.

Any ideas?

rotategalaxyscreen

May 19, 2022
Visit site
The problem still exists in safe mode.

I’ve selected all of those options, and the problem persists — it will rotate 90 degrees to landscape when the phone is in landscape, but it will not rotate 180 degrees when the phone is upside down. Instead, it stays in a vertical, unrotated display when the phone is upside down. This is important to me because I use the phone as GPS while driving and I want to charge it at the same time, but the phone can’t rest on its perch and charge at the same time - unless it’s rotated 180 degrees.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The problem still exists in safe mode.

I’ve selected all of those options, and the problem persists — it will rotate 90 degrees to landscape when the phone is in landscape, but it will not rotate 180 degrees when the phone is upside down. Instead, it stays in a vertical, unrotated display when the phone is upside down. This is important to me because I use the phone as GPS while driving and I want to charge it at the same time, but the phone can’t rest on its perch and charge at the same time - unless it’s rotated 180 degrees.
Welcome to AC!

Try clearing cache in recovery

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my Pixel 6 Pro and Galaxy A32 5G -- same behavior as you described. It may have been something with an update to Google Maps or Google Play System Update. All I can suggest is to give Google feedback about this.

It does rotate 180 degrees on my Galaxy Tab A7 lite, which is running Android 11, so it might also be something to do with Android 12. Did your phone recently update to 12?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just checked my Pixel 6 Pro and Galaxy A32 5G -- same behavior as you described. It may have been something with an update to Google Maps or Google Play System Update. All I can suggest is to give Google feedback about this.

It does rotate 180 degrees on my Galaxy Tab A7 lite, which is running Android 11, so it might also be something to do with Android 12. Did your phone recently update to 12?
Im not experiencing auto rotate issues on pixel 6 pro or s22u

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Im not experiencing auto rotate issues on pixel 6 pro or s22u

Specifically, I'm trying to have it rotate properly when holding the phone upside down with Maps open (i.e., with the selfie cam at the bottom). It doesn't rotate when in that position. It rotates properly in landscape. This is also the case with other apps like Google Photos (and just as with Maps, it does rotate when the device is held upside down on my Tab A7 lite running Android 11).

The upside down rotation is what the OP is specifically looking for. Is that working for you on your phones?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It will only rotate to land scapes either way or portrait if it does this it's normal trying get it to rotate upsidedown it won't work , no one use it in that mode

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It will only rotate to land scapes either way or portrait if it does this it's normal trying get it to rotate upsidedown it won't work , no one use it in that mode

I can see where the OP is coming from -- I've occasionally had to position my phone upside down when plugged in to charge while in a car. (This would usually be in a rental, with no phone mount available.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can see where the OP is coming from -- I've occasionally had to position my phone upside down when plugged in to charge while in a car. (This would usually be in a rental, with no phone mount available.)
Yeah , only has landscape and portrait , upsidedown wont go like portrait so if That's the case its working normal

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hennapatel