Samsung Galaxy S22 and casting to Smart TV

Paul Mena

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
My Google Pixel 4 has been a loyal workhorse, but I think its life cycle might be coming to an end. There's a part of me that would like to stick with the Pixel line and take advantage of discounts on the Pixel 7, but there's another part of me that is frustrated that I can't cast content to my Samsung Smart TV. Is this a well-known feature of the Samsung Galaxy series? My wife's iPhone casts reasonably well, but it's occasionally clunky.

In any case, I'd appreciate any advice regarding either the new Pixel phone or the Galaxy S22. Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
With an S22 and a Samsung Smart TV you can mirror your screen (or 'cast' videos/pictures) directly using Smart View on either device, you can share audio, and just like with a Pixel, you can use the Home app to cast your screen to a Chromecast.

Paul Mena

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Given that my Samsung TV is a Smart TV, do I need Chromecast for anything beyond enabling my Pixel to cast to it? I feel like it's redundant as far as what I'm already paying to stream. If it doesn't buy me anything else, I'd probably opt for the Samsung Galaxy S22 over the Pixel 7 so that I don't need to buy Chromecast only for its casting support.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Given that the smartness of a "Smart" TV tends to go out of date quicker than yesterday's news then Chromecast is a more reliable way of keeping up to date with all the current and new streaming services.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Given that my Samsung TV is a Smart TV, do I need Chromecast for anything beyond enabling my Pixel to cast to it? I feel like it's redundant as far as what I'm already paying to stream. If it doesn't buy me anything else, I'd probably opt for the Samsung Galaxy S22 over the Pixel 7 so that I don't need to buy Chromecast only for its casting support.

Can't speak for the Pixel as I do not own one or have tried one, but not every phone comes with screen mirroring capabilities. However, the Home app does provide this function from most devices to a Chromecast (and I'd assume casting to a Chromecast is native to a Pixel). But make no mistake, these two mirroring techniques are different and not compatible with each other. So yes, it depends on what device you get is which of those options it supports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke