Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
[Forgive the thread title if someone already used it.]

Before anyone asks (or no one? Anyone at all?), yes I have both devices. While I enjoy the benefits each have to offer, I'm gonna have to give one up eventually. My cousin is in need of a new smartphone and I offered up to give up one of the two I've mentioned in the title but I really can't decide.

Which brings up the eventual question (Oh finally, OP is taking WAY too long to get to the point already!): Which one do you think I should keep? The aluminum-clad HTC One or the plastic-wrapped spec-monster that is known as the Samsung Galaxy S4? I don't care how biased your opinions are - just give me some so I can make up my mind already! ;)

(Both handsets are rooted with latest CWM recovery and using the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly builds available for them)

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Personally having spent considerable time on both I would vote to keep the HTC. Although your missing out on the camera capabilities using Cm. I wish we could dual boot. CM and a sense ROM. Android revolution is a great sense 5 ROM running 4.2.2.

The HTC ones camera really shines using sense.

Both devices have pluses and minuses.
Ask yourself this .....
Do you need a removable battery and an micro SD slot?
Do you prefer the premium build quality of the HTc one?
Which screen do you prefer? Differences in screen types make a difference.
Do you love the front facing speakers ?

At the end of the day Its a personal decision and will come down to your needs,etc.

Ask yourself another question. Which device couldn't you live without and which device would you miss the least?

I was faced with the same decision recently. I chose the one I love. The HTC one :) its an amazing device. Such a beautiful design. The screen is amazing, speakers are great. Its a head turner. Plus its more unique in my opinion. Trust me you would miss it.

Posted via Android Central App

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
S4-Removable battery, expandable memory, more features, better daily-shooter camera

One-less features but more streamlined UI, better low-light/indoor camera, more "premium" feel, front-facing speakers

Those are the major advantages of each over the other, you just have to decide which are more important to you.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think the HTC one is a better daily shooter. The htc one shoots a wider angle and works in more conditions than The s4. Unless you are going to be printing posters the resolution on the htc one is perfect. I've done several camera comparisons between these two phones. At a low light party the s4s camera wouldn't even pick the subjects up where the htc one shined. How can the s4 be a better daily shooter if you can't use it in as many situations as the htc one? Htc will work great in low light no light indoor and captures amazing light during the day.

And so many of the touchwiz features just lag bad.

Sent from my HTC One

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think the HTC one is a better daily shooter. The htc one shoots a wider angle and works in more conditions than The s4. Unless you are going to be printing posters the resolution on the htc one is perfect. I've done several camera comparisons between these two phones. At a low light party the s4s camera wouldn't even pick the subjects up where the htc one shined. How can the s4 be a better daily shooter if you can't use it in as many situations as the htc one? Htc will work great in low light no light indoor and captures amazing light during the day.

And so many of the touchwiz features just lag bad.

Sent from my HTC One

Because from the many photo comparisons I've seen the S4 always came on top except for the areas I mentioned. I even tried out both cameras and had the same results. Also, I tried out the S4 features as well and found no lag at all, not with Touchwiz or any of the features.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the one take better day time photos than the s4 however most of the time the gs4 shoots slightly better daytime photos. However the htc one camera owns the gs4 indoor and in low light situations which is why I consider it to be a better daily shooter in the sense that its more versatile and can be used effectively in low light conditions where as the gs4 cannot.

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have seen the one take better day time photos than the s4 however most of the time the gs4 shoots slightly better daytime photos. However the htc one camera owns the gs4 indoor and in low light situations which is why I consider it to be a better daily shooter in the sense that its more versatile and can be used effectively in low light conditions where as the gs4 cannot.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Yes it can. Obviously its not as good as the One's camera indoors becausre that's what it's designed for but the S4's camera is still perfectly fine in the same conditions.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Let me upload some photos. I'll post a link in a bit.

I was at a birthday party outside and my cousin had his s4 and I had my HTC one. Very limited lighting. The galaxy s4 wasn't even able to pick up the subjects. You'd have to guess and use the flash. And even then due to multiple people and objects in the photos they just were not all that great. Now on the HTC one I didn't even have to use my flash ands came out with some fantastic photos.

I just think for that reason it makes a great all around camera.

Now, if all you generally take are outdoor well light shots then by all means the galaxy s4 has the edge.

The Zoe features and highlights on the one are pretty neat and useful.

Personally if I were going to get an s4 I would put the Google edition ROM on it. I just don't like touchwiz.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Let me upload some photos. I'll post a link in a bit.

I was at a birthday party outside and my cousin had his s4 and I had my HTC one. Very limited lighting. The galaxy s4 wasn't even able to pick up the subjects. You'd have to guess and use the flash. And even then due to multiple people and objects in the photos they just were not all that great. Now on the HTC one I didn't even have to use my flash ands came out with some fantastic photos.

I just think for that reason it makes a great all around camera.

Now, if all you generally take are outdoor well light shots then by all means the galaxy s4 has the edge.

The Zoe features and highlights on the one are pretty neat and useful.

Personally if I were going to get an s4 I would put the Google edition ROM on it. I just don't like touchwiz.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Im definitely an outdoorsman, especially when it comes to taking pictures. I use a DSLR so my eye for pictures is probably just different from yours.

Also, a lot of people don't like Touchwiz and while i dont agree with people that say it sucks it definitely does need some design changes. But im gonna install Nova right away anyway.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I also use a DSLR on a regular basis.

I just chose the htc one as it was a better all around camera in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One

Droid4Core

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Easily the s4. Sure the HTC one is nice looking but you'd be crazy to not use a case on a phone that nice. Not only that but the buttons on the htc one are just retarded.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I also use a DSLR on a regular basis.

I just chose the htc one as it was a better all around camera in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One

Well like i mentioned my eye for pictures is probably just different from yours. No big deal. (Y)

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone verify that the HTC One can actually use T-Mobile's HSPA+ 3G network? Only asking this since I don't live in an area with LTE but still has strong coverage when it comes to HSPA and 3G. (Where I work does have LTE though)

Yeah yeah, this probably sound like an extremely stupid question but my brother is complaining about his HTC One only picking up Edge speeds once he moves away from an area with LTE. (He has the T-Mobile variant which is the same one I have)

I REALLY love my HTC One but it would be a great disappointment if I can't even download my CyanogenMod nightlies without having to find an area with LTE or WiFi.

(This post should basically say that I've chosen which one I'm going to keep. There's still one problem left.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513