Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 screen colors are all messed up - like negative. Should I get the screen replaced or is this something I can fix?

A

AC Question

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 screen colors are all messed up - like negative.

Hello all,

It seems like I am having the same issue described here - in the post called samsung-galaxy-tab-2-10-1/372667-dropped-tablet-now-screen-has-inverted-colors-did-not-crack.html (I cannot post links yet)

The image of the original poster almost perfectly matches what I'm seeing. However, even though you would think that these are negative colors and I just need to uncheck that setting, that's not the case.

After going through a few different things, including factory resetting and hard formatting the device, I am almost certain that it's a hardware problem. The issue (from what I gather) occurs with most colors, but not all. For example, if I browse a folder which would be shades of grey for the background and the file listings then it almost looks perfect... some icons look fine too - the ones that are a little darker.. but the backgrounds and the majority of any color that it's a little brighter are completely off and distorted.

So, my question to you is - assuming that it is a hardware problem - what would be the part to replace? I am a pretty technical person, and I've changed parts before, so I would like to go at it... but at the same time I am not sure if this could be due to the digitizer, or the LCD, or even if we maybe just need 1 cable... the LCD connector of some sort.

Open to other ideas too, but I have tried pretty much everything I could think of in terms of software. We did not drop it or anything - this started happening out of the blue.

Thank you in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 screen colors are all messed up - like negative.

Welcome to Android Central! My guess would be to replace the LCD, although a loose connection might also be causing issues. The digitizer is what senses your touch, so that wouldn't cause the problem. If you want to try yourself, maybe you could open it up and just check all connections first.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 screen colors are all messed up - like negative.

If you tablet can connect to TV via a HDMI adapter, use it to verify the source of problem. You did not give a specific model so I have no idea which one your have. A rule of thumb, if anything is fine on TV but not on your tablet, the problem is from LCD. If both look the same, the problem is from main board.
Most of distorted images or discoloration problem just simply comes from a loose LCD cable. Reconnect and secure the connection with tape will solve the problem and prevent it from happening again, otherwise you have a bad LCD.

This is one sample of loose LCD cable, I did on purpose

Loose LCD Cable.jpg

Last edited:

Rahulparkale

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem of screen Color distortion for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Model number: GT-N8010. I took it to Samsung and the were clueless. When I took it to another shop there they suggested to change the display, although it was very expensive to do so I went ahead with the replacement.

Replacing the lcd fixed the problem but soon after there was battery problem so replaced that as well.

Unfortunately, the screen discolouration problem has surfaced again.

Friendly technician is refraining me from anymore expenses on this tab, and recommending me to buy an iPad instead.

But I'd like to make a last attempt based on suggestions from experts in this forum.

Would like to know if there is a hardware problem (lcd/board) which could have a permanent fix(one year at the least). Please suggest.

Thank you

w4phle_stomp

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I just had this exact same problem with a 'defective' tab 2 I bought from ebay for cheap.
I ripped it apart and found that the lcd ribbon, although properly inserted into the connector, moves vertically and doesn't make proper contact UNLESS it's taped down.
There's a small rubber bumper underneath the ribbon - it's only sticky-attached - I pulled it off and placed it on top of the ribbon, and then taped over it with electrical tape. Doing this causes enough pressure to maintain the ribbon in place and the screen now works perfectly.
* * * INSTA-FIX * * *
IMG_1633.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I have done the same thing with Windows based laptops when the internal screen is acting squirrely.

I just had this exact same problem with a 'defective' tab 2 I bought from ebay for cheap.
I ripped it apart and found that the lcd ribbon, although properly inserted into the connector, moves vertically and doesn't make proper contact UNLESS it's taped down.
There's a small rubber bumper underneath the ribbon - it's only sticky-attached - I pulled it off and placed it on top of the ribbon, and then taped over it with electrical tape. Doing this causes enough pressure to maintain the ribbon in place and the screen now works perfectly.
* * * INSTA-FIX * * *
View attachment 234641
View attachment 234642