Samsung proves why the Galaxy Z Fold 5 doesn't need an S Pen slot

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
So does the physical qwerty keyboard, let's stick that to the back of the Fold as well. And what are the #TeamNoCase people supposed to do?
That is a false comparison.

Besides, why should Samsung cater to an very small group of users. The vast majority of smart phone users use cases.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That is a false comparison.

Besides, why should Samsung cater to an very small group of users. The vast majority of smart phone users use cases.
It was supposed to be, to point out the same of your comparisson. Anyway, I don't really care that much. I just don't think we should be thanking Samsung for a half baked solution on a $1800 device. The Fold and the S-pen are catering to a very small group of users in and of themselves.

I used the S21 Ultra which had a separate S-Pen, and the experience wasn't a very good one.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I used the S21 Ultra which had a separate S-Pen, and the experience wasn't a very good one.
That's why I didn't get the S21 Ultra.

Calling the solution "half baked" is not a fair comparison. Engineering a new type of device like a Z Fold or Z Flip is easier said than done. Samsung had to make decisions on whether or not to provide an in-phone S pen storage solution. Those decisions were based on a lot of factors. User preference is only one of those factors. Any engineer worth his or her salt knows that designing something and then having to produce it in large quantities is no simple matter.

My question to you is this. If you think that this solution is half-baked, then why don't you design and engineer a foldable phone that meets all of the specifications that you would like, market it, and mass produce it?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's why I didn't get the S21 Ultra.

Calling the solution "half baked" is not a fair comparison. Engineering a new type of device like a Z Fold or Z Flip is easier said than done. Samsung had to make decisions on whether or not to provide an in-phone S pen storage solution. Those decisions were based on a lot of factors. User preference is only one of those factors. Any engineer worth his or her salt knows that designing something and then having to produce it in large quantities is no simple matter.

My question to you is this. If you think that this solution is half-baked, then why don't you design and engineer a foldable phone that meets all of the specifications that you would like, market it, and mass produce it?
2 reasons.

1. I don't have the skills

2. I don't have the resources.

It's nice of you to assume I have the capabilities of a multi billion dollar, multinational mega-corporation, but I can't meet your expectations.
Samsung on the other hand has both of those things in abundance. But they are slowly milking design updates year over year to keep people buying.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
2 reasons.

1. I don't have the skills

2. I don't have the resources.

It's nice of you to assume I have the capabilities of a multi billion dollar, multinational mega-corporation, but I can't meet your expectations.
Samsung on the other hand has both of those things in abundance. But they are slowly milking design updates year over year to keep people buying.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.” - John Lydgate.

My whole point throughout this conversation. Samsung knows there are people who are not going like some of the choices it has to make. It had to make engineering choices. Phones don't just magically build themselves. For every new design that Samsung and other OEMs produce, they must then figure out how to make them. Samsung must rejigger its assembly lines to accommodate the new design. That takes time and costs money.

If you don't like the way Samsung (or any other OEM) did something, you have the choice of not buying it.

As for your two "reasons," they are excuses to not try. Remember, Jeff Bezos started Amazon from his parents' garage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Back to what's being said a foldable device like Samsung's Fold 5 I would definitely want a silo built-in the device for Spen.
I have to be dictated which case to use because of this as the Samsung case only one that sits flush enough without creating bulk

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
A silo would be nice. I also kinda like the S pen on the back like it is on the Tab S tablets. As far as feeling that you are being dictated to, that's on you. Samsung is not forcing you to buy either the phone or a case for it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A silo would be nice. I also kinda like the S pen on the back like it is on the Tab S tablets. As far as feeling that you are being dictated to, that's on you. Samsung is not forcing you to buy either the phone or a case for it.
As a Long Note series fan they understand this and why I've been purchasing the s222u/s23u and probably s24u

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
If Samsung were to add an S pen silo or have it attached on the back of next Z Fold, I would seriously consider trading my S22 Ultra in for it. With that said. I'm not completely sold on the concept of foldable phones as all-in-one devices though. Whether it's a Samsung or OnePlus foldable display or a dual display clamshell like the Surface Duo series. If I need to work on something, I either use my Laptop/Desktop, or use my Tab S9. I can access my work AVD instance from any of my devices. But, in my opinion, anything with a display under 11 inches is not very practical to work on.

I do travel for work on a fairly regular basis. Having to carry a 15 inch laptop, a 12 inch tablet, and my S22 Ultra is not that big of a deal. Especially when compared to the amount of stuff I had to carry on a regular basis when I was younger.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If Samsung were to add an S pen silo or have it attached on the back of next Z Fold, I would seriously consider trading my S22 Ultra in for it. With that said. I'm not completely sold on the concept of foldable phones as all-in-one devices though. Whether it's a Samsung or OnePlus foldable display or a dual display clamshell like the Surface Duo series. If I need to work on something, I either use my Laptop/Desktop, or use my Tab S9. I can access my work AVD instance from any of my devices. But, in my opinion, anything with a display under 11 inches is not very practical to work on.

I do travel for work on a fairly regular basis. Having to carry a 15 inch laptop, a 12 inch tablet, and my S22 Ultra is not that big of a deal. Especially when compared to the amount of stuff I had to carry on a regular basis when I was younger.
I thought I carry a lot of devices lol