Samsung S10 Automatic Screenshot Snapchat

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi Team,

I noticed my phone took and saved a screen shot to DCIM Screenshots.
It was of what appeared to be a blank and black Snapchat screen - like it appears before youd take a pic in Snapchat....
I have not opened snapchat in months..... and when i then went in to open Snapchat i then had to agree to a new privacy agreement, almost as if the screen was made to look like snapchat.
It saved it as the following -
"Screenshot_20220118-104104_Snapchat.jpg"

Anyone heard of this??

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

I was really thinking someone would have jumped in before now. I saw this post yesterday and almost replied then but figured someone who uses Snap more than I, might answer. Now the question is will you come back to check the answer?

Anyway, I just have questions more than advice.

When you say that you noticed that your phone took a screenshot, how did you notice this? Did you hear the camera click, see the screen splash, notice the preview pop-up or find it in your photo gallery/notice the notification?

When you say a blank screen, like before you take a pic, do you mean it was the Snap screen with the filters and all of that at the bottom with the capture button and the image in frame was of nothing in particular or do you mean it was blank in some other way? If other please describe.

If you meant it was the Snap screen with the filter icons and capture button, like if the app had been open and about to be used, was it the same screen you found when you opened the app to see what had happened? In other words was it the same filters and have the same appearance as the screenshot? The filters rotate with the seasons and at Snap's whim so seeing two different sets of filters could indicate that the images were from different sources or times or something like that...

What device do you have? Did Snap come pre-installed on the device? Are there any shortcuts in your gallery for Snap?

Do you have and/or regularly use any apps that prompt you to share via Snap? If you have a photo app that offers to share a photo or creation via Snap it might be possible that it was chosen by mistake and I say this mostly because of the way the file is named. Everything up to the last underscore Snapchat is totally how screenshots are named. That all seems legit. The Snapchat in the file name is throwing me. While I know Snap can tell when a screenshot happens or the screen is being recorded and will even notify the Snap producer of such activity I am not aware of it being able to tag itself in the file name. It also doesn't call captures screenshots. It feels like this is trying to be some kind of hybrid which causes me to think something else played a part in this.

Well let us know what you find. If you would like to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies, please create an account. This link will help you do that.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Jackson Stapleton

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi There -

When you say that you noticed that your phone took a screenshot, how did you notice this? Did you hear the camera click, see the screen splash, notice the preview pop-up or find it in your photo gallery/notice the notification?

I noticed this in an interesting way ... my wife and I share all our photos via Google photos. She sent me a message asking "oh who are you snapchatting?!" (as shed got a notifcation that i had uploaded something - I then checked our google photos which had the screenshot (the photos in my samsung Gallery Auto-upload) and then checked my Samsung photos gallery and there was the pic.
I Will attempt to upload the .jpg here

Screenshot_20220118-104104_Snapchat.jpg

When you say a blank screen, like before you take a pic, do you mean it was the Snap screen with the filters and all of that at the bottom with the capture button and the image in frame was of nothing in particular or do you mean it was blank in some other way? If other please describe.

Yeah that is correct - instead of the screen showing what the camera is showing - it was just black with the snapchat capture and filter buttons surrounding it.

If you meant it was the Snap screen with the filter icons and capture button, like if the app had been open and about to be used, was it the same screen you found when you opened the app to see what had happened?

I did think that was the case - like i had accidentally opened up the snapchat app - then screenshotted whilst it was in my pocket?? (explaining why the screen was black but the icons were present, But i opened my apps that were currently running/open and snapchat did not appear amongst them - I then opened snapchat and was greeted with a privacy accept screen (not allowing me to go directly to the capture screen before clicking accept on the

What device do you have? Did Snap come pre-installed on the device? Are there any shortcuts in your gallery for Snap?

Samsung S10 No, Snapchat not installed or shortcuts present

Do you have and/or regularly use any apps that prompt you to share via Snap? If you have a photo app that offers to share a photo or creation via Snap it might be possible that it was chosen by mistake and I say this mostly because of the way the file is named. Everything up to the last underscore Snapchat is totally how screenshots are named. That all seems legit. The Snapchat in the file name is throwing me. While I know Snap can tell when a screenshot happens or the screen is being recorded and will even notify the Snap producer of such activity I am not aware of it being able to tag itself in the file name. It also doesn't call captures screenshots. It feels like this is trying to be some kind of hybrid which causes me to think something else played a part in this.

I do not and have not shared anything with snapchat - ive barely ever used it

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

That's an interesting image and just makes things more confusing... It shows all of the usual Snap stuff up in the corner but the capture button is greyed out like you wouldn't have been able to capture an image even if you wanted too. One could argue that it looks like one might imagine if Snap wasn't enabled, like say before the TOS were agreed to. Which was kind of what happened. While it seems impossible that something like that could happen I would like you to try this one thing which may be telling. Open Snap and take a screenshot. I'm only curious about one thing, how is the file named?

If the file is named screenshot_the date and time_snapchat it will show us that whatever happened happened because something opened Snap in a way that didn't open Snap and the image looks the way it does because this attempt was made while Snap was in a not active state. Then we could imagine it being in your pocket and this all being some kind of strange but explainable accident. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21