Samsung smartwatch with Wi-Fi question.

anon(10800887)

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
hi,

1. if i leave my mobile phone at home, can i receive text messages or whats up or something on my samsung smartwatch over wifi?
2. assuming "yes" for above, does the watch have to be paired with a samsung mobile ? (because he has an iphone at the moment)

my son wants to take the smartwatch to school for calendar notifications but leaving his phone at home, would be nice to send him messages when needed.

anon(10800887)

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
messages are sent to a phone number, if the watch is not paired, how will it receive messages to that number? The watch must be paired.
apologies, used wrong terminology :-( the phone and watch are paired, just out of bluetooth range of each other

Welcome to Android Central! Which Samsung watch do you have?
haven't bought one yet, hoping to avoid cellular / LTE and just use wifi (which i will make sure the smartwatch has wifi).
research says that samsung and apple are the only brands that do messages over wifi, but being such a large purchase for the watch - you can understand i want to make sure.

he has an iphone at the moment (some functions wont work with an iphone) happy to buy a samsung phone if needed (trying to get away from idevices)

any help appreciated

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Mobile devices (smartphones and smartwatches) get network connectivity in three ways -- one is cellular and has a coverage range of miles, another is WiFi and coverage is much less, measured in feet. The third is Bluetooth, with a coverage range substantially less then WiFi.
So when you're at home, and both your smartphone and your smartwatch are well within the coverage range of your router (which provides a WiFi signal) and often within Bluetooth coverage range so the two connect to each other directly. But take that smartwatch outside and at that point you'll soon be well outside the coverage range of any WiFi and of Bluetooth connections at home. Unless that smartwatch has cellular connectivity too, it's not going to be able to pair up with your smartphone at home.

anon(10800887)

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
But take that smartwatch outside and at that point you'll soon be well outside the coverage range of any WiFi and of Bluetooth connections at home. .

my son may leave his phone at home (connected to my house wifi) or take it to school (connected to the school wifi) but leave the phone in his bag (not allowed to have a phone in class), the campus is large, the same wifi is in multiple buildings but his phone will be "out" of bluetooth range..... for those who didn't read the first post - will the phone send the message (text, whats up or anything that works) over wifi to the smartwatch.

the smartwatch will not have LTE or cellular, but it will have wifi

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
my son may leave his phone at home (connected to my house wifi) or take it to school (connected to the school wifi) but leave the phone in his bag (not allowed to have a phone in class), the campus is large, the same wifi is in multiple buildings but his phone will be "out" of bluetooth range..... for those who didn't read the first post - will the phone send the message (text, whats up or anything that works) over wifi to the smartwatch.

the smartwatch will not have LTE or cellular, but it will have wifi

Samsung have a feature called call and text from other devices which allows you to... Call and text from other devices. As long as the watch has a Wi-Fi connection and is paired to the phone you will be able to call and text from the watch. You do need a Samsung phone to do this though it will not work with iPhone.