Screen black after update

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have an AT&T branded S21 Ultra. I just did the update and now when I unlock my phone, it is just a black screen. As I was starting this thread, I was able to unlock it and see the home screen for a minute but now it's just black again. Phone is all messed up. I'm assuming there is an app causing the conflict. I was able to get to the settings and confirm that I now have OneUI 4.1. I'm sort of able to navigate on teh phone a bit now but it's all screwed up. I really don't want to have to do a factory reset because it's always such a pain but I"m not sure I have much other choice. Any suggestions on things I can try before I do a FD reset? I just checked and I have a ton of updates in the Play Store, which I'm updating now so I'm going to try to salvage this first. Just an FYI to anyone else with an AT&T branded S21. Update with caution. I have never had an update go this poorly and I've owned Samsung phones since 2013.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I just figured it out. If anyone else has the issue, try the following.

1. Settings > Apps > Mobile Services Manager > Storage > Clear data > Back to Mobile Services Manager > Force stop > Back to Mobile Services Manager > Permissions > Remove phone permission

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
How did you start the screen if it was black? In other words when you unlocked it it went black when did it change to the home screen and for how long did it change. I also have AT&T and I haven't gotten the update message yet so I'm wondering if I should just wait and not do the update.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
How did you start the screen if it was black? In other words when you unlocked it it went black when did it change to the home screen and for how long did it change. I also have AT&T and I haven't gotten the update message yet so I'm wondering if I should just wait and not do the update.
The screen was black but I was able to pull down the notification tray and get to settings.

Brittany H1

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
Has it happened since you did that? Mine is doing the same thing ever since the update. I can clear off the black screen by holding the vol down and power button for about 20 sec until Samsung logo pops up. It'll restart but I get the black screen 5 to 10x a day. Igot my phone through tmobile so I don't seem to have the Mobile Services Manager. I wonder what the equivalent to that is.
Ill also say that I cleared my partition as someone recommended and that didn't help. I went in safe mode to see if it was an app downloaded and it still occurred in safe mode

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Has it happened since you did that? Mine is doing the same thing ever since the update. I can clear off the black screen by holding the vol down and power button for about 20 sec until Samsung logo pops up. It'll restart but I get the black screen 5 to 10x a day. Igot my phone through tmobile so I don't seem to have the Mobile Services Manager. I wonder what the equivalent to that is.
Ill also say that I cleared my partition as someone recommended and that didn't help. I went in safe mode to see if it was an app downloaded and it still occurred in safe mode
Welcome to AC!
Have you tried post#2 ?

Brittany H1

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
Thank you. I couldnt because when I go to apps in settings there is no "mobile service manager" I have an "app manager" but it doesn't allow you to force stop, but you can clear the data. Then there is a " device manager" that you can force stop but you can't clear data. Those are the closest things I see to "mobile service manager" I did get my phone from tmobile, not sure if that's why I don't have that option.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. I couldnt because when I go to apps in settings there is no "mobile service manager" I have an "app manager" but it doesn't allow you to force stop, but you can clear the data. Then there is a " device manager" that you can force stop but you can't clear data. Those are the closest things I see to "mobile service manager" I did get my phone from tmobile, not sure if that's why I don't have that option.
Hmm and you said it's same in safe mode , have you tried Factory Reset?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
See if you have something called "DT IGNITE" instead. Some carriers call it that rather than Mobile Services Manager. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to do a factory reset unfortunately.