Screen color issue (not pentile)

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or is the color yellow off? I noticed on the demos and my own phone the color yellow has issues. I watched naruto on netflix and his hair has a slight greenish tint to it. It should be bright yellow. On moonchasers the text has a darker tone nearing the color brownish yellow. The rest of the phone is great. I am even getting used to the pentile grain issue. I figure it would take time for my eyes to adjust but the yellow i cant get over. Sorry for the text and grammar. I havent loaded my swiftkey x because i am strongly considering returning the phone today. It makes me very sad as this is the only screen issue i have. Pentile on this phone is not too bad. And the ghosting is much better than the other phones i have seen. There are also a lot of force closes but i figures the apps need time to be adjusted for the bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, most everything seems whiteish to me. If i return the phone is because of the camera not the screen really.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera doesnt bother me so much thankfully. I would be very happy except for the color issue.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a wide gamut color screen in a new laptop, and other standard gamut monitors. All of the std gamut monitors display yellow as gold. The wide gamut monitor makes all the colors come alive. I'd liken the color of the Bionic to a standard gamut monitor. Yellow (ie, it looks like dull gold) is definitely looking a lot like it does on my Vizio 32" LCD monitor. I also have a couple of DLP TV's which have exceptional color fidelity. Most LCD TV's don't really excite me much with their color performance. :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You guys reporting issues with Yellow are not crazy. Check this out ...

Saving Power with Your Smartphone Display | PenTile Blog

Specifically ...

The reason for this is that all RGBW displays must pay attention to an effect known as Simultaneous Contrast Error. Simply stated, if you put a bright and highly saturated color on the screen at the same time as a bright white, the eyes and brain will think the saturated color is darker than it really is. This is especially true for yellow. Simultaneous Contrast Error can make a bright yellow look mustard colored.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm went to look at the phone today. Fast..and the display is not a clear as I have seen on my OG. After reading this article maybe this phone will not work for me because all of the colors I like are highly saturated dark blacks, deep reds, greens and light but intense blues...and according to this article that will consume more battery and I guess it just doesn't look that good.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Motorola pentile screen have a reddish tint so yellow look kind of orange brown and skintone looks reddish. This is most noticeable with low resolution video sources.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmm went to look at the phone today. Fast..and the display is not a clear as I have seen on my OG. After reading this article maybe this phone will not work for me because all of the colors I like are highly saturated dark blacks, deep reds, greens and light but intense blues...and according to this article that will consume more battery and I guess it just doesn't look that good.

Sounds like you want a Samsung screen then. Maybe a Droid Prime is in your future? ;)

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Further evidence can be found by searching yellow on the youtube app. There is a slide show of yellow objects designed for kids to learn the color and object. When you watch it, you can see the mustard come out along with the greenish hue on items.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the screen doesn't seem to be able toproduce a true yellow. Mustard is the right description based on a color picker. Definitely a negative on an otherwise good phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunarmoon0320