Screen dead, can I make a backup via command line

bhilgenkamp

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
My screen went out on my Epic 4G and I am getting a new one shipped to me. My current phone is rooted and from what I can tell it's still booting but the screen is black. Is it possible via command line to make a full image backup of my phone so that when the new one comes in I can simply restore that image and have my new phone back up and running just like my current one? If so can you provide step by step directions on the backup and restore process?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My screen went out on my Epic 4G and I am getting a new one shipped to me. My current phone is rooted and from what I can tell it's still booting but the screen is black. Is it possible via command line to make a full image backup of my phone so that when the new one comes in I can simply restore that image and have my new phone back up and running just like my current one? If so can you provide step by step directions on the backup and restore process?

Well you should be able to first blindly boot into CWM. Give it a good minute to make sure your in CWM.

From there you will need to count the number of times to go down to enter backup/restore and make your backup... Since I don't have my Epic anymore I can't remember the exact number of times you press down and enter then enter again to perform the backup.

Once that is done, give it a good 10 mins to make the backup you can your sdcard using your computer or sdcard reader/adapter to make sure the backup was sucessfully made in the ClockWorkMod/backup folder. Should see a backup with the current date.

Then you can use Odin, blindly entering download mode to get the device back to stock to take it in to be serviced.

I will see if I can get a friend on here rooted to help get you the exact number of times you navigate downward in CWM to get you going and post it here..

bhilgenkamp

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
In case it changes for different versions, I'm using CWM "green" if I remember correctly.
No need for Odin, I took it in and they're sending me a new one tonight. I get a new one tomorrow, send in my old one back and that's it. No one will know it's been rooted.

But yeah if you're able to give me the exact sequence for CWM green version that would be awesome!

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
In case it changes for different versions, I'm using CWM "green" if I remember correctly.
No need for Odin, I took it in and they're sending me a new one tonight. I get a new one tomorrow, send in my old one back and that's it. No one will know it's been rooted.

But yeah if you're able to give me the exact sequence for CWM green version that would be awesome!

Ok I did this with CWM 3.0.2.5 (yellow) because I couldn't find the green one. To verify if this worked you should pull the sd card after and see if the back up is there.

Ok...Once in CWM:
-Press Vol down 5 times
-Camera button
-Camera button
-Then wait approximately 15 minutes
-Then press the back button three times
-Camera button

That will restart the phone.

I hope that works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul627g

golden_35

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok I did this with CWM 3.0.2.5 (yellow) because I couldn't find the green one. To verify if this worked you should pull the sd card after and see if the back up is there.

Ok...Once in CWM:
-Press Vol down 5 times
-Camera button
-Camera button
-Then wait approximately 15 minutes
-Then press the back button three times
-Camera button

That will restart the phone.

I hope that works.

Yep, same for CWM Purple, v. 3.1.0.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics