Screen/dispaly question and others, for those who have it

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have an A500, which I'm looking to replace with a smaller form factor tablet.

One of my big gripes about the A500 is that the screen is so glossy that it often catches, much more than any other tablet/phone I've used. I think this also have to do with the slight curve in the glass, making it reflect glare at multiple angles at once. Also, the A500 screen is a real challenge to keep clean (finger prints) compared to other screens I have used (or at least, they show up much more).

Does the A100 screen share these issues (glossy screen, slight curve, fingerprint magnet)? I haven't been able to get to a store with a display unit out, but if it does, I might just save myself the trip.

Another question is how the A100 has been handling WiFi connections and Exchange accounts. The A500 has always been a little tempermental with me about my work WiFi and Exchange connectivity. Maybe 3.2 will help, but I haven't gotten the update, yet.

Thanks

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The screen is a fingerprint magnet. For me its just a minor inconvenience. There's no curve. As for glare, I haven't noticed it being an issue, but then again, I normally use it in darker settings, so....

Wi-Fi has been flawless for me, as well as being tethered to my phone.

Can't really answer the Exchange question. Gmail and Yahoo email synch has worked well for me, howerer.

Reactions: 7starmarc

jhodnettejr

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
The screen is a fingerprint magnet. For me its just a minor inconvenience. There's no curve. As for glare, I haven't noticed it being an issue, but then again, I normally use it in darker settings, so....

Wi-Fi has been flawless for me, as well as being tethered to my phone.

Can't really answer the Exchange question. Gmail and Yahoo email synch has worked well for me, howerer.

Maintaining our wifi connection is HORRID. It drops it randomly with screen on and will not maintain the connection with screen off. I've set the disconn policy to never. My other gripes are contact sync for Facebook isn't there. Also, I can't share video either via Facebook or email, wtf! My palm pre+ was flawless in these regards. These functionalities are absolutely required, and if I can't fix them this device is going back to amazon.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Maintaining our wifi connection is HORRID. It drops it randomly with screen on and will not maintain the connection with screen off. I've set the disconn policy to never. My other gripes are contact sync for Facebook isn't there. Also, I can't share video either via Facebook or email, wtf! My palm pre+ was flawless in these regards. These functionalities are absolutely required, and if I can't fix them this device is going back to amazon.

I can't help but notice, you place more or less the same post in every thread.

Granted, the A100 has issues, which like any device, get straightened out with updates. Android is no exception, and falls within the line of Apple, Rim, and yes, Pre. You clearly didn't have the early release version. But..... a person can always return the device if not satisfied. In the end, the issues eventually get worked out. And contrary to prior belief, not everybody has the same issue.

FB app, will always have issues.

It's unfortunate that not every thing works on every device for every person. That is something not even the almighty Apple has achieved. It's just the way it is, and eventually, it will work out for most people.

jhodnettejr

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but notice, you place more or less the same post in every thread.

Granted, the A100 has issues, which like any device, get straightened out with updates. Android is no exception, and falls within the line of Apple, Rim, and yes, Pre. You clearly didn't have the early release version. But..... a person can always return the device if not satisfied. In the end, the issues eventually get worked out. And contrary to prior belief, not everybody has the same issue.

FB app, will always have issues.

It's unfortunate that not every thing works on every device for every person. That is something not even the almighty Apple has achieved. It's just the way it is, and eventually, it will work out for most people.
I'm posting similarly because these are the issues I'm having with the device. Its not the Facebook app...its the web version too. These are basic functionalities that are missing or broken.

birdmom9726

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would have to agree that the screen surface is a fingerprint magnet. It always looks awful whether I've just washed my hands or not! Oh well, I just clean it a lot w/microfiber cloth, no problem. Have had no issues with Wifi, connects with no problem at all, almost on its own usually. Speakers are not bad, but there is audio leakage from the speakers when you use headphones sometimes. Did have issues with Navigation dropping GPS signal big time the other day, while out in the middle of nowhere - no GPS signal at all suddenly, wouldn't pick up again until after reboot and then only sporadically. Heard there was weak navigation on this tab and so far I would have to agree. Wifi has to be on to use Navigation too, which was not the case with my LG Optimus phone or my Wintec Filemate tab, will have to figure out what's going on with that. I still love my A100 though, you have to figure every new device is going to have some kind of issues and none of these have been major for me (well, maybe the Navigation problem, since we were lost for 45 minutes - should have brought a REAL map for backup!). This is a terrific tablet at a terrific price and you get a lot for your money. I would say to spend the extra $25 and get the 16GB version - my understanding, which may not be accurate, is that Honeycomb is not built to have apps moved to the external SD card. If you go into Superbox and try to move apps to the SD card, there is no option for that, I was surprised. I guess the external SD card is maybe meant for music/video storage etc.? At any rate, I have downloaded a good number of apps and have had no problem at all with space running low. Since I'm not technical or brave enough to try rooting my A100, I'll just work with what comes with the tablet, and that's plenty for me.:D:cool:

Whoknowes

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have had my A100 a couple of months, so far I haven't had any problems... as far as the fingerprints... I bought a screen protector on amazon from skinome... it seems to help with the smudges and finger prints.

jlsholiday

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
screen protectors! We have in this household one a500 and 2 a100. All heve screen protectors. The one on the a500 is glossy and had bubbles at first but it settled in after a bit and is bubble free and not a finger print magnet. The a100s have non-glare protectors which I prefer and they are wonderful. It is silly to put up with the non protected screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalme22