Screen Protector or no?

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you use a screen protector or no?

On my S4 I had one for a while but found out the screen was supposed scratch proof and ditched it and it was so much better.

I've had the turbo for a week naked, and its really smooth but how durable scratch proof is the screen? What kind of glass is it?

I know if I gash it with a key is one thing but just every day stuff....

Posted via the Android Central App

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Considered this for awhile. Was intrigued to read about the new tempered glass protectors available now and decided to try one. Bought the EZguard because it was cheap and figured I could toss it if it didn't work out. Installation was easy....but I noticed that one small spot near the bottom of the phone did not adhere. Don't know if it was my fault or not. It is only visible when the screen is off. Does not affect operation. Ordered a second one for my fiance's phone....will see if it has the same problem.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It is Gorilla Glass 3. It is more scratch resistant and fracture resistant than plain glass, but it is still glass, and it can do both of those things.

I have become so accustomed to having a screen protector on my phone I just always put one on.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I do because I am prone to reselling and, while microscratches don't bother me, they may bother the buyer.

I've never used a tempered glass one before yesterday but I have to give it the vote as the way to go. I bought the iVoler (0.2mm) from amazon and was concerned about thickness vs. what I am used to (plastic film). It feels just like the original glass and it fits just right. Expensive but seems worth it at the moment

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Use one. Its almost impossible to avoid micro scratches. Even if a protector scratches you can just apply another one.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm all for screen protectors as extra insurance against small bumps, nicks, and randomness. The good ones barely take anything away from the display, don't cost much, and help to preserve resale value as others have noted.

PowrDroid, I didn't realize you posted the video here as well before I responded in that other thread first. I'm putting the bulk of my response here since the topic is more applicable. At 7:23 of your video, a bunch of scratches on the screen are shown.

There's no argument that Gorilla Glass 3 does a very good job in reducing the likelihood of scratches, marks, and cracks. But not to the point where there's no reason for a screen protector. This doesn't directly translate to "no screen protector = scratches galore", but to me it's not worth risking it when there's something available that barely affects user experience, if at all. On the other hand, if the naked screen happens to get scratched, that would definitely affect my user experience.

I can also make PowrDroid's claim that I've never had a damaged screen surface either after always using screen protectors. I'm glad it's worked out for your naked screen - but it's an n of 1. There's quite a few reports online of people with Gorilla Glass 3 scratches after regular use, more so from sand than anything else. On the other hand, there's very very few reports online of anyone having scratched any Gorilla Glass screen that has had a protector on it - I can't say 0 because I haven't been to every website, but I couldn't find any coming from regular use. Sand hasn't affected my screen or the protector the multiple times I've had my phones with me on the beach or camping. A screen protector isn't the be-all-end-all, but it doesn't hurt and may just help.

I have a link to show also - this is how the Gorilla Glass marketing director himself talked about the product... good improvements for scratches, but doesn't say anything about them not being an issue anymore:

Gorilla Glass 3 promises 40% fewer scratches | Computerworld

There has to be room for improvement for our Gorilla Glass 3 screens, because Corning is currently touting Gorilla Glass 4, which their website says is 2 times tougher than anything else out there and that it survives drops "80% of the time". Really good, but we're still many years away from "practically indestructible", as was claimed in a different thread.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I think I may try that tempered glass one to see if it hampers the experience any.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried the tempered glass one that verizon sells but didnt like the feel of it. Gave up and put it in an Otterbox defender. I have to have a large belt clip and that seemed like the best option. It makes it a brick but I also like that. Cant stand thin feeling phones.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Turbo (64GB) and until I'm 100% convinced I'm keeping it, I'll keep a screen protector and case on it. If and when I decide I'm keeping it, then off with the protector. I don't like them, never have.

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I just put on the protector from ivolver and like it! It's a tighter fit than the one I just replaced which was the Verizon one. The glass feels smother than the flexible one. I recommend it for the price!

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had my ivoler one in since Friday now and really like it. Pretty smooth compared to naked.

Just feel a little more secure I think as far as putting it in my pocket and keys etc...

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Mr. Shield protectors from Amazon. It's $6 for 3. So far it's nice. The first one I put on was bubble hell but the second is sitting nice. Good feel and clarity so far.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
If I'm given the option of a screen protector, I'm not turning down the offer. Whether it placebo or actually protecting the screen isn't really a concern. I just like the piece of mind.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Use one. Its almost impossible to avoid micro scratches. Even if a protector scratches you can just apply another one.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

I'm quoting myself here for a reason. I have several micro-scratches on my display even though it was never in my pocket with another object. I'm going to live with it but if for some reason I ever need a warranty replacement I'm going to be putting a MIME Ghost Glass on to prevent this in the future.

I've tried XtremeGuard and iVoler but the overall quality was poor. Neither stuck on the edges even though they're installed perfectly. Both are cut too large so it touches the curved glass and lifts. Mime is said to be cut properly

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Im gonna try a screen protector tonight (free with my case arriving today). But I'll most likely tear it off due to disliking the feeling of using a screen protector. I usually never use a screen protector they are very annoying. Plus the turbo does get one free screen replacement.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't have one, and don't plan on it. No scratches on my screen after 3 months. My wife, on the other hand, gouged her screen somehow. Though, that's the only scratch on it, oddly enough.