Screen protector texture/feel and typing errors

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was using the pixel for the first several weeks with just the liquid armor and no screen protector. Felt great and my typing was great (google keyboard) with very few errors.

Then I was seeing some micro abrasions on screen so put on an actual film screen protector from bestskinsever. I love their matte protectors as they repel fingerprints too.

However, now I seem to have lost the "feel" of the screen and find myself making a ton of typing errors on the same google keyboard.

Curious if others find the screen protector impact their typing. And if you have any recommendations for a good screen protector for our phones. I am open to tempered glass but hate the ones that don't cover the curved edges, so it would have to be 100% coverage to work for me.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Your "micro abrasions" were more than likely in the liquid armor, not the screen itself.

I have been using (fairly heavily) my Pixel XL since November 20'ish without a screen protector and I cannot see a single mark on the screen of any kind - heck, it doesn't even show fingerprints/skin oils.

PS: I didn't use a screen protector on my Nexus 6P either, and I sold it after a year's use with a pristine screen...

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Your "micro abrasions" were more than likely in the liquid armor, not the screen itself.

I have been using (fairly heavily) my Pixel XL since November 20'ish without a screen protector and I cannot see a single mark on the screen of any kind - heck, it doesn't even show fingerprints/skin oils.

PS: I didn't use a screen protector on my Nexus 6P either, and I sold it after a year's use with a pristine screen...

Take a look at the screen under a lamp. Micro scratches are typically only apparent in artificial lighting. Waiting in a doctor's room at night for instance makes it very easy to spot all the fine scratches, while the same screen will look near perfect outdoors or during the day.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the screen under a lamp. Micro scratches are typically only apparent in artificial lighting. Waiting in a doctor's room at night for instance makes it very easy to spot all the fine scratches, while the same screen will look near perfect outdoors or during the day.

I would suggest to you that today's screens are so impervious to scratching that it is just not worth worrying about. If you have to study the screen under just-right lighting conditions and a 10x magnifying glass, well, why bother?

I never use screen protectors, use my phones for 12 - 18 months, and then re-sell them when the next great model comes out. I have never had a complaint about the condition of the screen when re-selling a phone.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I would suggest to you that today's screens are so impervious to scratching that it is just not worth worrying about. If you have to study the screen under just-right lighting conditions and a 10x magnifying glass, well, why bother?

I never use screen protectors, use my phones for 12 - 18 months, and then re-sell them when the next great model comes out. I have never had a complaint about the condition of the screen when re-selling a phone.

I hear you man. I don't typically keep them even that long, but I like the pixel so much that I am going to hold on to it for a full year at least. I may go back to the liquid armor stuff. Anyone got a brand they would recommend for the liquid armor?

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I hear you man. I don't typically keep them even that long, but I like the pixel so much that I am going to hold on to it for a full year at least. I may go back to the liquid armor stuff. Anyone got a brand they would recommend for the liquid armor?
I use Liquid Nano. Screen protectors are so 90s.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
OK I ripped off the film protector yesterday and got the liquid nano put on at Staples. I also have a liquid nano kit on order to redo it at some point.

The feel and UX is so much better without a stinking screen protector! keyboard errors are way down. I am definitely pro-naked now! Eff it, even if this liquid stuff doesn't work, I will just get a screen replaced in 6 months - it's only $130 or something I believe?

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
OK I ripped off the film protector yesterday and got the liquid nano put on at Staples. I also have a liquid nano kit on order to redo it at some point.

The feel and UX is so much better without a stinking screen protector! keyboard errors are way down. I am definitely pro-naked now! Eff it, even if this liquid stuff doesn't work, I will just get a screen replaced in 6 months - it's only $130 or something I believe?

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

You have the same approach I do. H3ll, it's a phone, just a tool. I take super good care of my stuff. I always get top dollars when I sell them, always in mint condition. I've spent over $2500 on cases over the years. Then I always took them off after a few days. I love liquid nano. Yet, when I find a slim, grippy case, I still buy it, thinking this is the one.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
You have the same approach I do. H3ll, it's a phone, just a tool. I take super good care of my stuff. I always get top dollars when I sell them, always in mint condition. I've spent over $2500 on cases over the years. Then I always took them off after a few days. I love liquid nano. Yet, when I find a slim, grippy case, I still buy it, thinking this is the one.

I am anti-case. I always carry every phone I own naked with just a clear skin on - no matter how fragile or how expensive (including the Note 7 which was the biggest bar of $900 glass soap you can find). I have a philosophical problem with buying beautifully designed phones and sticking them in rubbermaid cases. Just me though :)

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I am anti-case. I always carry every phone I own naked with just a clear skin on - no matter how fragile or how expensive (including the Note 7 which was the biggest bar of $900 glass soap you can find). I have a philosophical problem with buying beautifully designed phones and sticking them in rubbermaid cases. Just me though :)
You must not have kids :)

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate that thinking. I'm sure Jony Ives didn't spend time designing a slim beautiful iPhone to be wedged in an OtterBox. Lol.

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
You must not have kids :)
I wonder why that is. My teenaged children don't use cases either. Well, actually, they spend money in cases like everyone else, but then take them off after a couple days.
I appreciate that thinking. I'm sure Jony Ives didn't spend time designing a slim beautiful iPhone to be wedged in an OtterBox. Lol.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals41