Screen Protectors and Gorilla Glass

Feech

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have never used a screen protector and always thought they looked messy on a phones screen and somewhat blurred a great screen. I though though I may attempt to use one for the EVO LTE after seeing a co-workers screen and being impressed. When I went ot BB though and started reading the Zagg boxes I saw that it prevents scratches on the screen, and the lifetime warranty was for the screen protector itself if the protector was damaged. My question though is the screen protector even neccesary with Gorilla Glass accomplishing the same scratch protection?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones and never scratched a screen. I really don't like the look or feel of protector films. I can't imagine a pliable film could possibly be tougher than Gorilla Glass 2.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones and never scratched a screen. I really don't like the look or feel of protector films. I can't imagine a pliable film could possibly be tougher than Gorilla Glass 2.

I agree, but I think the difference is that if you get something like a grain of sand in your pocket it would scratch the heck out of your screen protector and you could replace that for $20 or so compared to a lot more to replace the screen.

I'm going naked on this screen.

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't use screen protectors either for the same reasons but there are a lot of every day elements that can easily rape your gorilla glass that a screen protector can more than help you with. For example, any kind of sand or silica, which can virtually be found any where, can easily scratch your screen and a simple protector will definitely help with that.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I never used a screen protector for my Palm Pre and OG EVO, but I decided to try out the ZAGG HD for my EVO LTE. I got it put on 3 days ago, but I removed it yesterday.

The ZAGG HD just made my screen look ugly.
* The orange peel effect bothered me a lot and I couldn't ignore it. I keep seeing it when there's a reflection on the screen.
* I don't have a case yet, so there were a lot of lint hanging along the edges of the screen protector. It was a little embarrassing to show off the phone to people when you have frame of lint on your phone.
* And it was just a fingerprint magnet. I kept having to wipe the screen.

After I removed it, it put a smile on my face because my phone went back to its sexy self. :) Screen is silky smooth again, I have no more lint sticking along the edges, and the fingerprints easily gets cleaned by my pant pockets. They somehow magically go away when I pull it out of my pockets. :D

So no more screen protectors for me.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I never had a screen protector on my Sensation, and Its been in my pocket, on the floor, in my bed. My dog even jumped on it once and it wasnt damaged. I've dropped it, granted its wrapped in a Seidio Innocase Active, but no screen protectors. I also carry it in a leather case in addition to having the case around the device.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this question depends wholly on the owner and how he or she treats his or her phone. I had the OG Evo from launch day and the 3vo as well and never used a case. If you're careless with the phone such as randomly tossing it into a pocket or purse with keys or other various objects, or you constantly drop your phone then I might consider a screen protector.

But if you're one that treats it like the $600 device that it is, I really think a screen protector degrades the phone overall, plus there is the added cost. I had the OG Evo from launch and the 3vo as well and both phones only had a little paint wear at the end from normal use, no scratches to be found. I wouldn't say I baby my phone, but I make sure it goes into the pocket with only a leather wallet and my a few loose bills. Drops are a possibility but just have to be careful. I did "lap launch" my OG Evo once getting out the car, but that's just a matter of paying attention.

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Where the heck are you people keeping your phones? I have the Zagg HD on my phone and it still looks amazing. I guess your phone will stay as pristine and clean as how clean the user is in his/her everyday life

Sent from my NEW Evo 4G LTE... wait.... I have LTE?? Not yet?!? BLAST!!!

couragedragon

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my Skinomi skin to arrive, but supposedly they have the least "orange peel" effect than most of the other skins. I ordered the clear full body skin.

Gorilla Glass is hardly scratch proof. As others have mentioned, sand and fine grit will definitely scratch the glass. A quick search on the net has lots of accounts of people's screens with fine hair line scratches. This would annoy the hell out of me.

I live near the beach so sand is all over the place. (It blows around very easily and gets every where even if you're not "at" the beach.)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing is, "fine scratches" are only visible when the screen is off and held at an angle to reflect the light correctly. However a screen protector is obvious whether the screen is on or looked at from any angle with the screen off.

It's a personal choice. I choose no.

Reactions: spants

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My Evo 4G screen is still perfect after nearly two years. I tried a Zagg for about 5 minutes before I realized how ugly it made the screen look and pulled it off. The odds of sand damaging my screen...Well, just not good enough to live with an ugly, tacky screen every day. One thing I do, however, is have a dedicated pocket for my phone, and only my phone.

halloweenb

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my Skinomi skin to arrive, but supposedly they have the least "orange peel" effect than most of the other skins. I ordered the clear full body skin.

Gorilla Glass is hardly scratch proof. As others have mentioned, sand and fine grit will definitely scratch the glass. A quick search on the net has lots of accounts of people's screens with fine hair line scratches. This would annoy the hell out of me.

I live near the beach so sand is all over the place. (It blows around very easily and gets every where even if you're not "at" the beach.)

Funny thing is, "fine scratches" are only visible when the screen is off and held at an angle to reflect the light correctly. However a screen protector is obvious whether the screen is on or looked at from any angle with the screen off.

It's a personal choice. I choose no.

I ordered the Skinomi full skin for mine as well and am waiting for it. I got it too, because it is supposed to be very clear. Had the Zagg Invisible Shield on my Palm Pre and it was pretty orange peely, but protective.

I also ordered a Skinomi full skin for my wife's iPhone 4S and put it on. Very clear. You can tell its on if the screen is off, but while the screen is on it looks great. Lots tighter and clearer than the Zagg IS. But, like you said Mikey, its up to the user. I'm pretty rough on my phone and need a little something extra. Probably find a case or pouch to keep it in, too.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On my OG EVO I used the Steinheil Ultra Crystal protector and was very happy with them. The screen felt and looked the same with it on there or off with one big exception. I was constantly cleaning the bare screen for fingerprints, Didn't have to do that with the screen protector on. I changed it twice. Once when I got a bunch of sand in my pocket and it scratched up the protector. The other time was when I put on a Seidio surface case and no way to get it on there without ruining the protector. I tossed the case and got an otterbox.

So far with the EVOLTE, I haven't put anything on it. The screen is very fingerprint resistent so that is a big plus. Plus the usablility of the screen outdoors is fantastic compared to anything else I've seen and it might get compromised by a screen protector. When I go to the beach again I'll put the phone in a ziplock bag if it's in my pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisashley2121