Screen Protectors/Pentile Display?

andthenwhat55

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen any discussion on this so I figured I'd jump in and make a post. I've been following the forums for a long time and just never posted anything so first I'd like to say hello all :).

I've been waiting on this phone forever and it's finally about here. If I'm investing $300 into this phone, I definitely would like to purchase some screen protectors even though the phone is supposed to have gorilla glass. So my question is this: For those of us who are going to be using screen protectors, how much can the pentile display hurt? This is going to be my first smartphone, but I have a 2nd-gen iPod Touch with a screen protector on it. It definitely hurts the screen quality a bit, but it's never really bothered me. Just thought I'd get some discussion going to basically reassure some of us that the display isn't going to look top notch anyway with a screen protector on it lol. Thoughts?

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely about the quality of the screen protector. My mother bought a screen protector for the iphone from the vz store and it looked like ass. Went to the apple store and those are not even noticiable. So i guess i would wait to see which are the best protectors out there.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Take it from someone that had an OG Droid from December 09 to March of this year and a Thunderbolt from March til now, and I've never used screen protectors and both screens don't have a single scratch on them. Gorilla Glass really is awesome. I suggest you go without a screen protector and save the money.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Take it from someone that had an OG Droid from December 09 to March of this year and a Thunderbolt from March til now, and I've never used screen protectors and both screens don't have a single scratch on them. Gorilla Glass really is awesome. I suggest you go without a screen protector and save the money.

Same story.... never used a screen protectors on my iPhones or devices with Gorilla Glass. Never a scratch.

andthenwhat55

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's amazing. Do you usually keep it in your pocket? I have an enV Touch right now that I keep in my pocket and it has a few little scratches I guess from coins or whatever else I have in my pocket. I'm just a little worried because my Bionic is going to be my baby lol.

droric

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's amazing. Do you usually keep it in your pocket? I have an enV Touch right now that I keep in my pocket and it has a few little scratches I guess from coins or whatever else I have in my pocket. I'm just a little worried because my Bionic is going to be my baby lol.

You can literally take the sharp end of a key to the screen on the OG droid and press as hard as you can while rubbing it across the screen. It will leave small oil streaks that just wipe off with a cloth. I have had my OG Droid for 2 years and there is not a single scratch on it. I don't believe it is possible to scratch the phone with metal, possibly diamond, glass or sand.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I do keep my phone in my pocket but usually keep a pocket reserved for only my phone.

+1 same. Had one of those zagg invisible sheilds for a while, but been going commando for quite some time now. No scratches.

*customized tapatalk signature*

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have OG driod(2 years now) and at first used screen protectors....then just ditched them. No damage to the screen. I have it in my pocket, my gym bag along with the locker lock....no damage..not a scratch . I wouldn't bother with a protector with this phone.

KDogg241

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have OG driod(2 years now) and at first used screen protectors....then just ditched them. No damage to the screen. I have it in my pocket, my gym bag along with the locker lock....no damage..not a scratch . I wouldn't bother with a protector with this phone.

Your post inspired me to pull the screen protector I had on my phone since day one 22 months ago. It looks to nice and is also kind of sad to think it is now only going to sit around as a backup phone in case of emergency.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Like others said, it is about the type of screen protector. Some are advertised as "anti glare/privacy protecting", and are a matte type material. Makes your screen look awful. I don't even understand why people use them, or why companies make them. I would rather have some glare than have my phone look like a Gameboy Color.

Most other screen protectors are invisible. People rant and rave about Zagg, but I always notice that you can tell it is on. It is clear, but you can see the texture of it on the screen. I ALWAYS go with Steinheil screen protectors. Their Oleophopic and Ultra Crystal are both very good, can't see them at all, and they add a nice feel to the screen.

I know most phones use gorilla glass now, and it is supposed to be reliable. But honestly, I do not want to take the chance. GG is supposed to resist scratching to the max, but all it takes it one time for that one thing to actually leave a mark, and then it is something you can't hide or replace. So invest the 20 bucks in a good quality protector, and think of it as an investment in peace of mind.

b.asagba

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
i always used to put invisibleSHIELD on my blackberry's but then going thru replacements , 30 bucks was steep to keep replacing it wenever i got new blackberry. the first thing i was gna do was drive to mall kiosk and get an invisible shield but now thinking bout it i doubt ill need it. btw never get invisibleSHIELD on entire device. its pointless and will peel off eventually , lesson learned the hard way .

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks - I was on the fence about getting a screen protector for this phone (haven't had one since my Samsung Omnia), but I decided to not get one now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fufukadan120