Security Update cadence for Galaxy tabs

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy tab S9 Ultra still shows the August security update. Anyone else in the same boat and was wondering what's the update cadence with tablets for Samsung? I know for phones they update monthly.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I still show August security patch. If I remember correctly, they only do security patches quarterly on the tablets. I'm pretty sure that was the case with my Tab S7+. I just got the Tab S9 Ultra last week.

Reactions: bhatech

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I thought tablets were quarterly.

I found the below here:
d9b7355edf735597658be9b968aa543f.jpg

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Yes. Tablets are generally quarterly. The 5G enabled ones may get updates a little more often depending on the carrier.

Google Play system update is September 1, 2023 though. To update it, just tap on it. It requires a restart.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Still on November security patch on the Wi-Fi version Tab S9 Ultra
That is because the carriers are responsible for updating their devices, not Samsung. Samsung is responsible for the WiFi only versions (just like the unlocked phones). Historically, the WiFi only models get their updates after the LTE/5G versions. It will be at least another two to three weeks before the WiFi models get the update.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That is because the carriers are responsible for updating their devices, not Samsung. Samsung is responsible for the WiFi only versions (just like the unlocked phones). Historically, the WiFi only models get their updates after the LTE/5G versions. It will be at least another two to three weeks before the WiFi models get the update.
Thanks!! weird that Wi-Fi models are later given that updates don't need any carrier testing or certification. On Samsung unlocked phones in the US, carriers still certify the updates, so there is a slight difference.

Not a big deal though, since I use my tablet once in a while. Was just curious that's all.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Thanks!! weird that Wi-Fi models are later given that updates don't need any carrier testing or certification. On Samsung unlocked phones in the US, carriers still certify the updates, so there is a slight difference.

Not a big deal though, since I use my tablet once in a while. Was just curious that's all.

You're welcome.

Actually, no the carriers don't certify the unlocked device updates. My daughter's S22 is unlocked and she always got any updates about two weeks after my locked S22 Ultra got updates. Both of us are on Verizon.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome.

Actually, no the carriers don't certify the unlocked device updates. My daughter's S22 is unlocked and she always got any updates about two weeks after my locked S22 Ultra got updates. Both of us are on Verizon.
I have been buying unlocked devices for ever. All unlocked devices Samsung/Google etc will go through carrier certification in the US. Updates for unlocked phones are pushed directly via Samsung but before they do that it needs to be certified by carriers. That's why even though you have an unlocked phone, your update timing vary depending on which carrier SIM your US unlocked device has.

Your daughter's S22 unlocked is getting later updates compared to your locked Verizon phone, since her updates are certified by Verizon first. Generally, US unlocked models get updates a few days or a week or two after their corresponding carrier phones are updated. There are exceptions in some months but that's been the general trend for several years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali