Send text from Google Voice

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to send a text, but didn't want to use my actual number. I read that Google Voice can do this. I downloaded the app, but can't see anywhere in the app that allow me to text, or do anything really. Anyone know how to use Google Voice?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You have to obtain a google voice number, which you do on a desktop. https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en
Then you can use your google voice app to text to and from that number. Once you have Google Voice set up, you still might want to text from that number sometimes or your regular carrier number other times. To do that, you can use Hangouts, where the SMS settings allow you to choose whether to text from your Google Voice number, Carrier number, or both, depending on which was most recently used with the contact.

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing something wrong because I still don't see a way to text from Google Voice. Do you have to use a different Google account? I went to the link, signed in with my Google account, but I wasn't prompted to choose whether or not I want a new number or use my existing number.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The app on your phone won't do the initial creation of a GV number. . Uninstall it. You have to sign up on the desktop and get your GV number. Once you've established your GV number, it will associate with your Google account. Then you can download the app to your phone, open it, and it will figure out the rest.

Posted via the Android Central App

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Still can't figure it out. I uninstalled the app. I'm on my desktop, went to that link. I've gone to the Google Voice website, signed in with my Google accout, again I get no prompt to choose whether or not I want a new number or use my existing number.
This is all I see in the app.
Screenshot_2014-11-23-14-27-12[1].jpg

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Uninstall the app from your phone and set the phone aside.
Go to your computer, Log into your gmail. While logged in, type google voice in the browser's address bar. The first search result is the link to GV that should give you this screen:
gvscreen.jpg

See on the left it says "Get a Voice Number"? Follow that link until you have a number, have chosen your settings and completed the process. Then and only then, install the app on your phone.

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
This is what I have. I have a number, even though I never clicked to get one. It was there the first time I logged on on my desktop. What settings need to be changed?

Attachments

• google voice.png
    google voice.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 10

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Huh. Well, that's a surprise. Click on your settings gear and it should show your GV number. Unless you're somehow signed up in GV Lite, which I've never used. Does the settings offer you a place to delete your GV? Since you don't remember signing up for this, I'd be inclined to delete it and start over.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
But study the settings carefully - here is where you ought to find the instructions on linking it to your cell phone and what to do with messages.

Untitled.jpg

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
There was a place in settings to get a new number. Don't know why I didn't see that before. I downloaded GV again and I can now send text messages from it.
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
So glad you got it sorted out. I can say I did something today besides snooze on the couch watching football.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scrap