Sense UI 2.2 (ON/OFF)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a G1 with stock vanilla 1.6 donut so, I am not very familiar with Sense UI. I have not had too much hands on experience but seen enough in reviews to know for myself it's good. However I forgot with at least the old verison of sense you can turn it off and go to the stock android launcher. I wonder if you can do that with Sense 2.2? Will still have sense browser? Or stock google browser? What is the point of switching?

I notice with sense ui it does not rotate into landscape which is a minor an aesthetic nuisance.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a G1 with stock vanilla 1.6 donut so, I am not very familiar with Sense UI. I have not had too much hands on experience but seen enough in reviews to know for myself it's good. However I forgot with at least the old verison of sense you can turn it off and go to the stock android launcher. I wonder if you can do that with Sense 2.2? Will still have sense browser? Or stock google browser? What is the point of switching?

I notice with sense ui it does not rotate into landscape which is a minor an aesthetic nuisance.

That ability was stripped out with the first EVO update, and hasn't reappeared since.

It'll have the Sense browser. It isn't terrible, but it isn't as good as stock either.

Reactions: tony bag o donuts

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
That ability was stripped out with the first EVO update, and hasn't reappeared since.

It'll have the Sense browser. It isn't terrible, but it isn't as good as stock either.

Thanks, I tried finding the information on Google but couldn't get anything but old blog posts and videos on when you could turn sense off.

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I know in my Eris you could not turn it off. If you really don't like it then just put on LauncherPro and try to customize it to look like stock. One thing is you will miss the Sense widgets.

templetonryecy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
One thing is you will miss the Sense widgets.

Exactly. Sense widgets are key (for me at least), and the ability to changes themes quickly seems pretty intriguing, assuming they keep adding more themes. Going back to stock or LauncherPro would be a big step backwards, IMO. Sense 2.0 will be pretty awesome.

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My 1st Android phone as well and I have been wondering some things about this. If I do use sense does that mean I won't be able to customize the home screens like I want? I like minimalistic style screens and was looking forward to changing some things.

elchip

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My 1st Android phone as well and I have been wondering some things about this. If I do use sense does that mean I won't be able to customize the home screens like I want? I like minimalistic style screens and was looking forward to changing some things.

Yes, you can customize the home screens. And you get more of them than MotoBlur provides you, I think... I don't know how many stock Android provides.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you can customize the home screens. And you get more of them than MotoBlur provides you, I think... I don't know how many stock Android provides.

Stock has 5 in 2.2+ (or it might have been 2.1+).

T-Bolt from the "Android Central Reader records Thunderbolt" video showed 7 screens.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I would say the Sense Browser is better than stock actually. It has some capabilities stock lacks (like automatically resizing and reformatting pages to reflow the text).

templetonryecy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I would say the Sense Browser is better than stock actually. It has some capabilities stock lacks (like automatically resizing and reformatting pages to reflow the text).

Agreed. There are very, very few things about stock I'd want over what Sense gives me. And there's certainly not enough out of custom launchers like LauncherPro and GO to get me away from Sense.

miss chris

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure this a sense question... but does the HTC have the ability to function the same way that the OG Droid does when placed in a dock? When I place my OG droid in the car dock it brings up the car functions, when I place it in the desktop dock it becomes my alarm clock. I know in the droid this is triggered by strategic magnet locations. As I understand it the HTC phones do not have the magnets in them. So, does sense have easy ways around this or do I need an app like dock launcher?

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Everything I have read says you need a 3rd party launcher (Launcher Pro, ADW) to change the stock sense icons on the home screen (home, phone,etc). Is this different with the new sense?

NikoB

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This will be my first Android phone also and the big white clock on the screen is really not appealing to me at all. Does anyone know if I will be able to change that to a digital clock? I think that big white clock looks old fashioned and to me it takes away from the elegence of the phone.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Sense is not locked into anything. The clock is just a widget, you can change it for another one or use another look for that clock widget (it has multiple looks including digital I believe).

Reactions: NikoB

NikoB

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sense is not locked into anything. The clock is just a widget, you can change it for another one or use another look for that clock widget (it has multiple looks including digital I believe).

I thought so but I'm glad to know it can definitely be changed. Thanks :)

NikoB

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys..that big clock is so ugly to me and on one video review the reviewer was commenting on how great the look of it was and I was like "wow..really..maybe its a young people thing." I'm in my late 30's so that clock just reminds me of my old childhood alarm clock.

Reactions: itsdollar

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys..that big clock is so ugly to me and on one video review the reviewer was commenting on how great the look of it was and I was like "wow..really..maybe its a young people thing." I'm in my late 30's so that clock just reminds me of my old childhood alarm clock.

Same here. That clock and the old school classic telephone ring I stay away from.