Settings keeps stopping after system update

vonloewe

Aug 18, 2022
Visit site
Second time this has happened on a system update. First time was on the very first security update after S22 launch. I was forced to Factory Reset my phone due to lack of any other solution. I since started shunning any and all system updates. A few nights ago the update screen popped open unexpectedly causing me to accidentally confirm the update. I crossed my fingers, but surely enough, the same thing happened again: settings keeps closing.

Only information I could find on this issue is for Galaxy A series, where the recommended solution is to uninstall Digital Wellbeing. But Digital Wellbeing is not installed on my device, and nor is it compatible with the S22 according to the Play Store.

I'm extremely annoyed that Samsung keeps forcefully pushing these updates that cause me to lose all data. I'm hoping anybody can point out a different system app that could have been corrupted by the update. I can easily uninstall/reset apps via ADB, but I have no leads on where to begin, and don't want to break it further by uninstalling the wrong package.

vonloewe

Aug 18, 2022
Visit site
So you have some knowledge with deleting bloatware, did you by accident disable settings?

I deleted some bloatware months ago (after my last factory reset due to the same issue, actually).
Settings was working fine until the device updated so I'm positive none of the removed packages are required for normal operation.
But I suppose it's possible that one of these packages was required by the update itself for some reason.
This is the full list of deleted bloatware: https://pastebin.com/2egpu8fH
Please let me know if anything stands out to you. Though I no longer have the backup .apks, I can try to download them online.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I deleted some bloatware months ago (after my last factory reset due to the same issue, actually).
Settings was working fine until the device updated so I'm positive none of the removed packages are required for normal operation.
But I suppose it's possible that one of these packages was required by the update itself for some reason.
This is the full list of deleted bloatware: https://pastebin.com/2egpu8fH
Please let me know if anything stands out to you. Though I no longer have the backup .apks, I can try to download them online.
There are a couple question marks , i would do a factory reset and use
https://www.packagedisabler.com/

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would like to avoid the factory reset at all costs...
That would cost me at least 2 days of setting everything up again. Especially with banking apps which require a lot of verification, some times in-person.
Unfortunately that option has to be on the table when you have settings crashing and can't get into it, try to reverse everything you did with adb and use the app I mentioned which wouldn't require a factory reset for changes you done with adb.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem with "debloating" is that not only can it destabilize your phone, but moreover, if you ever have a stability problem for some other reason, you can never be sure whether your debloating was the cause (unless perhaps many others are reporting the same problem for the same device, without doing any debloating).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci