SG3 version of beats audio??

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Beats is essentially just an equalizer that boosts bass and a few other things. It has already been ported to work on almost any phone:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1525226

The S3 has something similar called Wolfson DAC.

The kicker with Beats in HTC phones is that it only works with the stock Music app (i.e. it won't work with Pandora, Spotify, etc). I'm not sure how far Wolfson is integrated in the OS in the S3.

Reactions: bwbski

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The kicker with Beats in HTC phones is that it only works with the stock Music app (i.e. it won't work with Pandora, Spotify, etc). I'm not sure how far Wolfson is integrated in the OS in the S3.

Not true. Beats work with Pandora on the One X.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sense 4.0 allows Beats to work with any software, not just the default music player like on the HOX. on sense 3.5, Beats only works with the stock player, however, you can use a dsp manager on any phone to get a similar beats sound.

the Beats API was released a few months ago as well

HTCdev - OpenSense SDK | Sound Enhancer

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Beats is essentially just an equalizer that boosts bass and a few other things. It has already been ported to work on almost any phone:

(MOD)Beats Audio(2.3+up)05/06/12 - xda-developers

The S3 has something similar called Wolfson DAC.

Not sure what EQ the S3 uses but the Wolfson DAC in the S3 is a digital to analog
converter and Wolfson microelectronics makes some the best audiophile DAC,s
in the world.

This alone almost makes me want the GS3. :)

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I thought the US version of the S3 doesn't have the Wolfson DAC.

I read that somewhere too. The Wolfson DAC was only available with the Exynos chipset. I also read on the XDA thread that it was fairly disappointing. Not up to typical Wolfson quality.

That being said, Beats is horribly overrated and just over-amplifies the bass, completely distorting the sound quality of most types of music.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
An app like DSP Manager will let you do the same thing as Beats. Beats also works only via the headphone output and not speakers.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Wolfson has a great reputation for their higher end DACs and Op Amps, but they also make rather pedestrian versions too.

Not only that, but there are a lot of other design choices that go into the audio chain. People shouldn't get too hung up on just the Wolfson name, just like they shouldn't get too hung up on the Beats name either.

In any case, 95% of the people that use either phone for music listening would better improve their listening experience by buying better headphones.

If a person wants to improve beyond that, the GSIII supports USB audio. Depending on which USB DACs are compatible, the GSIII could be made to output substantially better audio. If a person is will to put up with the hassle of an external DAC. But you should still get better headphones first.

No idea if the HOX or any other phones right now support USB audio or not.

-Suntan

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Beats audio came on the Rom I'm running on GN.Actually its on serveral Rom's out for the GN
I dont know how much actual difference it makes tho,cant really notice an xtreme difference as I thought it would.

MrMuggles88

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Wolfson is just a DAC manufacturer (that doesn't even make the US SGIII DAC, fwiw); Beats Audio is a proprietary audio processing system. There's no comparison. In one case it's just a matter of which DAC manufacturer offered the cheapest product, in the other it's a highly desirable premium branded audio system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolwilliamson