Sgs 3 or wait for Razr HD?

Alewood

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered the sgs 3 but want to ask, and this is purely for speculation, should I wait for the Razr HD or keep the sgs 3? My droid x is dying a painful death for me and it so let me have your answers. Like I said just for speculation.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would at least still get the SGSIII and use it through the trail period to see how you like it since you already ordered it.
If you don't like then you can fiqure out what you wanna do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you want in a phone. I think both will be good phones but the RAZR HD might not be out for awhile and come after they get rid of unlimited grandfathered data. For me I like to be able to tinker with my phone and moto locks them down so much it is so much more difficult to even flash leaked updates that I am turned away from moto products. Plus they take forever for updates but that's just me. I'd rather rely on developers who usually make better roms then what the manufacturer makes anyway.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This may be the last chance to lock in a subsidized flag ship phone on Verizon. I don't think Verizon was planning on releasing this so early (hence the July 9 arrival date) but with everyone else shipping this phone right away at an excellent subsidized price Verizon felt compelled to pre-order now, ship as soon as they can (which turns out to be July 9 for the CDMA version) at a price cheaper than all of their previous flag ship LTE phones (Nexus, Rezound, Razr, Razr Maxx) at only $199 for 16 GB and $249 for 32 GB (I pre-ordered the 32 GB and KEPT (without any rep intervention) my unlimted data plan @ 29.99/month. This phone (unless it's a total dog with say radio or GPS problems) should be good for two years with the 1.5 S4, 32 GB memory, 2 GB ram, up to 64 GB micro SDXC card and since I'm moving up from a WVGA I don't think the Pentile will be a big deal (I'm still concerned about the size but I have 14 days to try it out and maybe the Dinc 4G LTE will be out by then if I can't handle the size). On the S4 a 2100 amp battery should be killer since One X gets great battery life with an 1800.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Something tells me that VZW won't release the Fighter until after all prerelease GSIII phones are past their return period.

I like Moto reception and build quality. I don't like moto screens and styling. Also, fwiw, community support for the Fighter is going to be a fraction of what it will be for the GS3.

You don't have to pre-order a GS3, I don't expect VZW to outright cancel unlimited data overnight. They are going to warn us first. So you will have a chance to pick up the GS3 at that time if the Fighter still isn't released.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath that the Fighter will be more compelling than the GS3.

-Suntan

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My OG Incredible is dying a slow death, so I went ahead and got the Razr Maxx, but really wanted to hold out for the Razr HD. Fortunately, I was able to return it in time and pre-order the S3.

I have to say that the Razr was a great phone but had two shortcomings...the screen and camera. Those two things were enough for me to go with the S3.

Its safe to say the Razr HD will have an improved screen, probably equal to or possibly better than the S3, but the camera is hit or miss. Knowing Moto's track record on cameras, I'd bet its not going to be as good as the S3.

If I knew when the HD was coming out and that I could keep my unlimited plan, I'd probably still wait for it, mainly because I think it will be better than the S3 for these reasons:

Launcher - Moto release some videos on its 4.0 OS, and its pretty close to stock ICS.
Build Quality
Radios - Just going on my experience with the Razr vs. Samsungs track record
Webtop - The ICS version looked much improved and at least gives you the option of using this feature
Smart Actions
Updates - Seems like Moto phones are more frequently updated than Samsungs. Google also owning Moto now makes this topic more interesting...

I think its doubtful you'll see the Razr HD anytime soon. My guess is it launches in a few more months closer to the next iPhone release. By then you can be sure unlimited plans will be gone for sure.

Jacque Strapp

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to pre-order a GS3, I don't expect VZW to outright cancel unlimited data overnight. They are going to warn us first. So you will have a chance to pick up the GS3 at that time if the Fighter still isn't released.
-Suntan

This is what I'm doing. VZW has said that they are going to announce the end of unlimited data grandfathering before it happens, so you can wait till just before the switch and buy the best phone that's available at that time. Frankly I was expecting them to hold off releasing all the new phones (SGSIII, Razr HD) until after that happened but at least now there's one new phone available for those of us planning to get one last subsidized phone and lock in another 2 years of unlimited data.

The SGSIII would be fine but I'm hoping the Razr HD will be an option before unlimited grandfathering ends, the expected 3300 mah battery would be nice. Google owning Moto now also gives me hope that the Razr HD will actually have an unlocked bootloader.

facedown41

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used a motorola product since the original Razr (yes i was a fool like the rest of you) and I'll never go back. Blur is worse in my opinion than TouchWiz and Sense and I don't trust the reliability of the phones by them anymore.

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I personally can't see myself owning a Motorola phone either. I really don't like any of their design decisions (software or hardware). Everything they make looks very outdated.

Plus my girlfriends DX has given her nothing but trouble for the entire time she's owned it.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've always had the best luck with Motorola phones: build quality, signal strength, etc. And Out of Sense and TouchWiz, I prefer Blur. It's been updated and it's not intrusive anymore. I prefer stock Android myself.

But you can see how different opinions are. So as simple as it sounds, get the phone you like. The Razr HD is going to be really similar to the current Razr, so if you like that then wait for it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either phone.

Reactions: jroc

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Always hated Samsung phones feeling cheap and plasticy.. Started out my Android career with Sense(Dinc & Tbolt), then moved to Blur with the X2 and now the Razr. Don't much like touchwiz from what I've seen of it, but I'm not real familiar with it either, so it may be great. I think the styling on the razr is awesome, and very high quality

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Razr thin, but some issues stand out to me.

If out all day, using 4g is not practical since the battery is inadequate.

The LTE runs too hot along with the battery drain

Fixed battery

The 4430 runs too hot

Those issue combined are bail worthy to me and landing with the SG3. Especially battery life.

Droid HD will probably rock none the less, but seems a fall release if the reported chipset is correct.

A nice bonus for the SG3 is no fixed soft or capacitive buttons, so less accidents when playing games. Especially game emulators :)

PeteyNice

May 14, 2010
Visit site
My OG Incredible is still going strong since I was able to swap out the battery for something better. I would not be looking to upgrade except the threat of losing unlimited data looms large.

While we do not know for sure, I would be surprised if the Razr HD has a user replaceable battery. If my Incredible has taught me anything it is that this is a requirement for any phone for me. I am not a phone junkie, I don't swap phones every few months. Unless, you get a lemon or do something unfortunate, the thing most likely to die on these devices is the battery. They can only handle so many cycles and eventually they will struggle to retain charge.

TL;DR It is not likely the Razr HD will have a replaceable battery and that is a huge advantage for the GS3.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the Non-removable battery. I question the 13 mp camera.... I still feel that the Samsung camera will be better and the screen as well. I think Moto comes up just a tad bit short.I was all over the Bionic before it came out... then I get hit with a 6 month delay, finally get my hands on it then get hit with the connectivity issues so-so camera and a click above average screen to only get slapped in the face with the release of the Razr then Razr Maxx.....I love Moto's build quality but I think Samsung has got it right with this phone. I never used Touchwiz but I plan on giving it a spin or I might even do the the whole root custom rom thing..all in all I think both will be fantastic phones but personal Moto really let me down with the whole Bionic thing and personally I don't really like the look of the Razr line. One thing I do know is that Samsung is not going to come out with a Galaxy SIII Maxx !!!:)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Blur/Sense/TW are replaceable with 3rd party launchers, if the mfg UI is an issue for you.

The GSIII will have new radios, so it remains to be seen what, if any issues turn up. My guess is it will be negligible this time around, if not non-existent. Purely speculating, of course, I could be proven wrong with this one.

If you are going to root, etc, I've rooted and ROM'd Samsung, HTC and Motorola, and Samsung is by far the easiest, and has a great dev community, especially for their high-end devices.

And despite what others opinions and subjective rantings might be, I happen to love Samsung hardware, I think they make the best looking phones in the business. Even though the RAZR line is thin and fairly lightweight, I don't like the look and feel of them in my hand.

So if you have not guessed, my vote is for the GSIII.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Blur/Sense/TW are replaceable with 3rd party launchers, if the mfg UI is an issue for you.

The GSIII will have new radios, so it remains to be seen what, if any issues turn up. My guess is it will be negligible this time around, if not non-existent. Purely speculating, of course, I could be proven wrong with this one.

If you are going to root, etc, I've rooted and ROM'd Samsung, HTC and Motorola, and Samsung is by far the easiest, and has a great dev community, especially for their high-end devices.

And despite what others opinions and subjective rantings might be, I happen to love Samsung hardware, I think they make the best looking phones in the business. Even though the RAZR line is thin and fairly lightweight, I don't like the look and feel of them in my hand.

So if you have not guessed, my vote is for the GSIII.

I also like Samsung hardware. I had a nexus and now have a maxx and to be honest everyone that says plastic is junk really doesn't know what they are talking about. I like how big Samsung is making phones but they do not feel that large when using them. Moto is using a 4.3 inch screen in a device that is only a tiny bit smaller than the sgs3 with a 4.8 screen. Plus the square edges that moto is going with makes the maxx a little awkward feeling in hand at times. Don't get me wrong I like the maxx, but can't wait for my sgs3 to come in and put it through the paces.

Gerane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have pretty much written off Motorola as a smartphone maker. Unless Google makes some major changes I don't think I will ever own another Motorola phone. I currently own a Droid X that has given me so many issues I am lucky it has not been thrown against a wall.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved the build quality of my Droid X. It has always been a solid feeling device and never did I feel like I was going to break it. However, Blur is a monstrosity of a skin. Ever since the gingerbread update my phone has not functioned correctly. I have tried everything and spent 100s of hours trying to fix it over the last year or so. It just will not function normally. I have tried SBF'd dozens and dozens of times, tried about every rom that has come around and all of my issues persist. Phone will work fine for 3-7 days then my problems slowly start to come back and after a week it is back to being completely useless.

ATM my phone is so slow and sluggish that I can barely answer a phone call. I miss more calls than I can answer because it won't unfreeze and wake up fast enough to actually answer the call before they go to voicemail. Camera is almost worthless now as well and video is about useless as it typically locks up and ruins your video. The phone is constantly rebooting on me, and will even reboot when it is not being used and has been sitting on the table for hours without being touched. Maybe once or twice a week some sort of process will cause the phone issues and will drain about 90% of your battery in about 15 minutes. Still have not been able to pinpoint what does this. I know google location services was causing me to have maybe 3 hours battery life, so had to turn it off. This is different and seems to be related to installing or updating an app, so I have had to stop installing new apps unless I am near a charger or in a place where I can easily recharge my phone. it usually takes 2+ seconds to switch between each homescreen and often just becomes unresponsive and freezes up. I will have to wait 10+ seconds usaully to let it unlock up.

This is just the tip of the iceberg on the issues i've had in the last year. I could go on and on and on, and it has been like this for over a year now. I just could not go back with Motorola after this.

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a cell phone store in a suburb of Cleveland. My first droid experience was with og moto droid. The gps on it was AWESOME. Way better than the tbolt. For a droid selling point I'd use the app lookout. And it would show exactly where my phone is. The tbolt is off quite a bit.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon