Shopping for Wear OS

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like Wear OS watches -- ok, laugh at me, get it out of your system.:p

I like them because they're really the only choice for watches that look elegant and classy, like a real dress watch. I've had a bunch of them, including the ASUS Zenwatch, the 1st gen Huawei Watch, the LG Watch Style, the Michael Kors Access Grayson (two of those, they were on sale at TJ Maxx!), the Skagen Falster 2, the Misfit Vapor X, and my current daily watch, the Fossil Carlyle (gen 5). Can you tell yet that I have a problem?;)

So of course, with holiday season here, I've been thinking about treating myself to a new watch. I initially thought of the Citizen CZ, which looks great in images, but it's a 46 mm case, which is a bit huge for me (the Graysons are also 46 mm), and it's also still gen 5 (meaning it won't get Wear OS 3.0 in 2022). So I got the Michael Kors Access Bradford, which is a gen 6 watch. Looked great, nice two-tone silver and gold finish, excellent build. Only problem was that it heated up like crazy on the charger (it was still hot after sitting on the charger overnight), so that was an immediate no-go. Returned it to Macy's the next day.

So now I went ahead and used that Macy's credit to order the Fossil gen 6. Looks almost the same as my Carlyle (smoke-colored stainless steel band), which is why I was hesitant at first, but it's supposed to get Wear OS 3.0, so that was the kicker. Also, the watchfaces that Fossil provides are much better than the MK selection (as you might guess, I prefer the analog faces).

ftw4059_main_1.jpg

The advent of the Pixel Watch gave me a little pause, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like that design will be very much like sleek fitness trackers, so as much I am a Google and Pixel uberfan, I probably wouldn't want that watch as my daily one.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try the Walaxy Watch 4 (either the sporty version or the thicc one). But yeah, if the Pixel one becomes a reality, it should be a nice contender at least for the sporty one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try the Walaxy Watch 4 (either the sporty version or the thicc one). But yeah, if the Pixel one becomes a reality, it should be a nice contender at least for the sporty one.

Eh, even though it's technically Wear OS, I've read that a number of the features don't work unless you're using a Wamsung Walaxy wone.:p I have a Galaxy A32 5G hanging around as a backup, but I'm certainly not using that over my Pixel 6 Pro.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
(Snip quote)

So now I went ahead and used that Macy's credit to order the Fossil gen 6. Looks almost the same as my Carlyle (smoke-colored stainless steel band), which is why I was hesitant at first, but it's supposed to get Wear OS 3.0, so that was the kicker. Also, the watchfaces that Fossil provides are much better than the MK selection (as you might guess, I prefer the analog faces).

View attachment 339755

(Snip Again)

That Fossil is very attractive. I like a sleek watch. I originally was going to purchase a ladies Michael Kors watch but fell victim to a sale on the Galaxy Watch 3. It's a great watch & I am waist deep in the Samsung ecosystem, so that works. However, even though it's the smaller model, it feels like I have something huge attached to my wrist. My parrot even hisses at it.

All this to say that the Fossil looks great & I hope it fits all your needs!
:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Got the Fossil gen 6! Very similar in size, appearance, and performance to the Fossil Carlyle gen 5, with the exception of the serrated bezel and the protective lugs surrounding the crown. It's also a little heavier than the Carlyle. It was a little trickier to remove some of the band links with the tool I have, but ultimately got it done. The big advantage of the gen 6 is that it's supposed to get Wear OS 3.0 early next year, but who knows what may happen?

PXL_20211223_002454800.jpg

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Got the Fossil gen 6! Very similar in size, appearance, and performance to the Fossil Carlyle gen 5, with the exception of the serrated bezel and the protective lugs surrounding the crown. It's also a little heavier than the Carlyle. It was a little trickier to remove some of the band links with the tool I have, but ultimately got it done. The big advantage of the gen 6 is that it's supposed to get Wear OS 3.0 early next year, but who knows what may happen?

View attachment 339945

Looks Great, Congratulations!!