Shortcut to Phone Numebr?

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My old Droid 2 allowed me to set shortcuts directly to someone's phone number. That option doesn't seem to be on the drop down list when I try to make a shortcut. How do I do this on the Razr Maxx?

TIA

Reactions: covard

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The favorite contacts widget is close to what you're talking about.

All that seems to do is get me quicker access to the list of favorites, not dial anyone's number. I'd say I can't believe that they got rid of such a practical option, but, I know better than that. :-\ Got to be someway to get back that functionality....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tap the hard Menu button, then Add->Shortcuts->App actions->Contact, then select the contact you'd like to make into a shortcut. Unfortunately, with Motoblur, it's still a 2 tap procedure to call, because when you tap the shortcut, a bar pops up with options to call, email, text, etc. But I think it's the closest you can get.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Tap the hard Menu button, then Add->Shortcuts->App actions->Contact, then select the contact you'd like to make into a shortcut. Unfortunately, with Motoblur, it's still a 2 tap procedure to call, because when you tap the shortcut, a bar pops up with options to call, email, text, etc. But I think it's the closest you can get.

Nope! That just adds a shortcut to the entire Contacts list, can't drill down to a specific contact. (unless I am missing something)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope! That just adds a shortcut to the entire Contacts list, can't drill down to a specific contact. (unless I am missing something)

You're missing the last step! So first do Add->Shortcuts->App actions->Contact, then tap on the Contact that you want as a shortcut. It should return you to your homescreen with the shortcut to that contact now present.

mrpat67

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
In the shortcut options there should be an option for direct dial. Hit that and choose the contract.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: covard

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You're missing the last step! So first do Add->Shortcuts->App actions->Contact, then tap on the Contact that you want as a shortcut. It should return you to your homescreen with the shortcut to that contact now present.

Nope! All it does is put the Contacts list shortcut on the home screen. Can't actually get to the list to select a particular contact in that process. Soon as I tap Contacts, that's it. Done.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
In the shortcut options there should be an option for direct dial. Hit that and choose the contract.

The Direct Dial option is what I am looking for! Does not appear in my shortcuts list.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope! All it does is put the Contacts list shortcut on the home screen. Can't actually get to the list to select a particular contact in that process. Soon as I tap Contacts, that's it. Done.

Strange. Are you sure you tapped Add->Shortcuts->App actions->Contact? Because if you didn't tap the App actions selection, but instead went straight to tap "Contacts" from the Shortcuts list, then all you'll get is a shortcut for the whole Contacts list. App actions should be the first selection on the Shortcuts list.

Please note that the correct selection is "Contact" singular, not "Contacts" plural.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
BINGO!!!! OK, was missing the App Actions, BUT what I wanted is not Contact but Direct Dial. That brings up the list of all the phone numbers in the Concact list THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
BINGO!!!! OK, was missing the App Actions, BUT what I wanted is not Contact but Direct Dial. That brings up the list of all the phone numbers in the Concact list THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I learned something from this, too! I didn't even notice the Direct Dial option. I assume that would bypass the whole 2 tap procedure needed when using a Contact shortcut.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I learned something from this, too! I didn't even notice the Direct Dial option. I assume that would bypass the whole 2 tap procedure needed when using a Contact shortcut.

Yep! Just a single number automagically dialed when you tap that shortcut

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
To add a contact to Speed Dial; View your telephone call log, long press the contact, then select "add to speed dial."

Or with the phone dialer open, hit menu, then "speed dial setup."

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
In the individual contact phone list, you should be able to set one number as the default. Then when you press the Direct Dial shortcut on the home screen, it should dial that number directly. To get to the other numbers, you have to go to the Contacts list.

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
In the individual contact phone list, you should be able to set one number as the default. Then when you press the Direct Dial shortcut on the home screen, it should dial that number directly. To get to the other numbers, you have to go to the Contacts list.

I was experimenting with this a little, since it sounded like something that I would like. It looks to me like when you select the Direct Dial shortcut, it takes you to a list of contacts and shows multiple options for those that have more than one phone number listed. For example, I added one shortcut for a contact with the home phone, and added another shortcut for the same contact with the mobile phone. The shortcut showed an "H" or an "M" for the difference and dialed appropriately.

Thanks to the OP for this question. It helps those of us who are not so 'android savvy'.

mrpat67

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I apologize. I have been using the paid version of ADW launcher for so long I forgot. That setting is not on stock launcher, as you all know. Sorry again for the confusion.

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone, I've been using the Motorola contact shortcut which is fine but I still prefer one tap, and didn't realize it was possible until I read this thread. Woot! :)

imspicy

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

I knew how to do this but now with the upgrade they just did I can't find the option for direct dial. All of my direct dials I had before the update are still there but I can't figure out how to add new ones. I followed these steps but it doesn't seem to give me the option.