Should I buy the Nexus 6?

docle888

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
So I have an iPhone 6s, but I really want a stock android phone and the Nexus 6 is only like $250 now. I wanna be a part of the android ecosystem, is the Nexus 6 still pretty good? I don't have a whole lot of money for the 6p, and the 5x hasn't been getting the best reception... I've watched a lot of reviews of the 6 on YouTube, but they're like over a year old... Thanks :)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! I know that LeoRex, one of our Moderators/Ambassadors, really liked his N6. I'll ping him and ask him to comment here.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I used the 6 for a good 13 months and I really liked it. The only thing I would warn is that it's a pretty big phone... I have large hands, so it didn't bother me much, but for some, it was cumbersome.

It's an excellent value. It still runs great and is still one of the smoothest, most responsive phones available, even over a year old.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine since January of 2015. It's fast, the screen is very nice, the speakers are fantastic, the battery is good with doze and marshmallow. Getting the latest security updates is a real plus. I plan on using mine for at least another year.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The N6 is still a great phone and definitely worth $250. The 6" screen is great for videos, front speakers sound very good, wireless and turbo charging are very convenient and battery life is excellent on Marshmallow. I'd say go for it as long as you don't mind the size and screen not being very bright (can be an issue in sunlight).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you want a good Android phone and enjoy the pure android experience then I would say the Nexus 6 is still a good buy. It'll be supported by Google for at least another year so you'll get security and OS updates promptly. Let us know if you make the jump to the N6.

docle888

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys, but now I'm thinking of saving up for the 6P. I know it's a great phone, but is it really THAT much better than the 6? Other than the camera, finger print scanner and all around build quality?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, but now I'm thinking of saving up for the 6P. I know it's a great phone, but is it really THAT much better than the 6? Other than the camera, finger print scanner and all around build quality?

Well, I have the 6P now, and it's just a better all around phone. The only thing that the 6 has on it is OIS, and that really only comes into play taking video, and it's not that big an advantage. But the 6P was the only phone I was willing to give up the 6 for... Nothing else tempted me. It was a tough decision... But I'm glad I made the switch. But that in no way should dissuade you from getting the 6... Unless you have the money for the 6P, of course.

docle888

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Well, I have the 6P now, and it's just a better all around phone. The only thing that the 6 has on it is OIS, and that really only comes into play taking video, and it's not that big an advantage. But the 6P was the only phone I was willing to give up the 6 for... Nothing else tempted me. It was a tough decision... But I'm glad I made the switch. But that in no way should dissuade you from getting the 6... Unless you have the money for the 6P, of course.
So is the software experience pretty much the same? I don't mind it being a little slower.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind the 6P doesn't have wireless charging, which can be very convenient. Also, the 6P uses USB-C, which can be a minor hassle, since you no doubt have mountains of USB-A cables lying around.

docle888

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of just getting the Nexus 6. As I said in my first post I carry an iPhone 6s as my day to day work phone, it's a nice, compact and reliable device. So I plan on using the Nexus as more of a media device, movies, gaming etc. Since it's has Marshmallow, and will be getting Android N, I think I'll be fine. If I really fall in love with it, then I'll think of buying a newer Nexus in the future.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So is the software experience pretty much the same? I don't mind it being a little slower.

(was on vacation for a bit, just catching up)

The software experience between the two is nearly identical... Both run very similar builds of Android... short of a few feature differences... The 6P has a fingerprint sensor and the camera has some additional modes (120 and 240fps slow motion, burst shot). But in terms of look, feel and installed software, they are one in the same. And even speed-wise, the difference between the two will really only show its face if you have them side by side. In most day to day tasks, the 6 is still one of the fastest and smoothest phones available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnS21