Should I get an Optimus S?

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an Optimus V running on Virgin Mobile's network. It's running CM7.2 on BACKside IHO (0502 Build) and it has a theme that makes it look like it's ICS. ;3
Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway.
I have about $40 to burn on eBay, so, I figured, why not buy a poor condition, bad ESN Optimus just to install ROMs to and mess around with? I wouldn't activate it because of the bad ESN, and it's only $40, so there isn't much to lose.
But, here's the conflict.
I was wondering, should I get another Optimus V, orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
an Optimus S?
I've never even touched an Optimus S. What are they like? Good? Bad? Are the ROMs good quality? CM9 has never been kind to me enough for me to use it as a daily ROM on the V, so I was just going to buy a $40 Optimus to use it without loss.
So, what does the Optimus S community say?
Any help is appreciated.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about the Optimus V, but I thought that it was essentially identical to the Optimus S (other than the Sprint bloatware). In section 2 of Epidemus's thread on rooting & flashing the Optimus S, he lists the custom ROMs currently available. Maybe that would help you deicide if it's worth playing around with an S?...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ome-basic-optimus-s-guide-newcomers-info.html

Reactions: Encerspay45

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the S and V are pretty much the same. We have some awesome devs and roms. Take a look at the link RazzMaTazz posted as well as some of the others in the S forum and see what you think ;)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Just an fyi, CAI is no longer in development and all S roms will run on the V minus a few potential easy fixes.

Edit -- don't quote me on that second part. I see S roms marked with baseband versions and I'm not sure if they include them or what.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Just an fyi, CAI is no longer in development and all S roms will run on the V minus a few potential easy fixes.

Edit -- don't quote me on that second part. I see S roms marked with baseband versions and I'm not sure if they include them or what.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

To clear this up, Since the OV never got the GB update, it got stuck with the zvd radio, so all zvd roms for the s will work with the v ( zvh/j roms will not have data, but since you don't care about that, it doesn't matter). OV roms on the latest update will work with the zvd baseband, but data won't work on zvh or zvj (again, this doesn't matter to you)

notebooko

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No, the phone is obsolete and not worth $40. Put it towards a higher end device. I'm not saying that it is a bad phone, because it has served me well, but it's just not a good investment anymore with so many more devices out there worth saving towards.

yodaboy18

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an s and I love it the roms are pretty good too from zvd to zvj It has a lot of roms from joyos wip to cm7.2 and miui and hyrdorom they are awesome roms!!! I just bought a v off of ebay (bad esn) of course for $20. To test out all the v roms and use it for a wi-fi device.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would just get the HTC evo 4g I think it has more roms
Or do they all run on the shift too? I forget

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Nope we have an evo 4g, all of its roms are independent of the shift and with the new evo support(dev) for the og is slowly dying.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums