Should I hold out for the Bionic?

elchip

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've reviewed the specs of the Bionic and the Thunderbolt, and I'm really unsure whether I should bother holding out for the Bionic or not. It depends on a few things, and I was hoping that you guys could help me out here.

For starters... the Thunderbolt has 768 MB of RAM, while the Bionic only has 512 MB. Obviously, the advantage goes to the Thunderbolt, but how much of an advantage is it? Will 512 MB of RAM be enough for a phone that will have to last me into 2013?

Then there's the processor. Obviously the advantage goes to the Bionic, but how big of a deal is a dual core processor at this stage in the game? I'm going to guess that single-core Android phones are going to be sold at least well into 2012, thus causing software developers who want to reach the biggest audience to not bother optimizing their programs for dual-core processors ... and seeing how slow PC software manufacturers were to take advantage of dual core processors on PCs, will dual-core really be that much of an advantage until it's time for my 2013 phone?

And finally, there's the battery. I'm not in the mood to pay even more money for my cell phone by going out and getting another battery, so I'd like to stick with what comes pre-installed. Will the 1400 mAh be enough to last me through the day with moderate use? The Evo, with its 1500 mAh battery, was said (IIRC) to have battery life problems, and I think other HTC phones have been somewhat lacking in the battery life department, haven't they? The Bionic has a whopping 1930 mAh battery... is this going to afford it significantly more life, or does the Tegra 2 suck up a lot of power?

Thanks in advance!

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
imo, thunderbolt wins, the bionic is ugly. moto bootloader will be locked so no roms. the new motoblur looks like moto version of touchwiz.

the bolt is better build quality. moto is gonna be a hard plastic

an bolt will be out first.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
thunderbolt all the way. motoblur is crap and the thunderbolt got better benchmark scores than the bionic. htc sense is pretty awesome too. i actually might prefer it over stock android

Reactions: madkillr05

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking I will switch to bionic. Thunderbolt taking too long may as well wait for bionic at this point. Bionic will have custom roms, it just won't have custom kernels. The only thing I really want from a custom kernel is extra battery life, but the bionic has a huge battery so that's not such a big deal.

tbolt voice + data over 3g is the only thing kinda keeping me on its side.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The 512MB memory on the Bionic is DDR2, so will probably be better for the most part than the 768MB in the Thunderbolt. The Tegra 2 processor in the Bionic is already better than the TBolt and will get even better when the OS and apps mature. The Bionic also has a higher res. screen. For me the Bionic beats the TBolt hands-down from a hardware standpoint. The biggest thing for people seems to be Blur vs. Sense and locked boot loader. I was considering the TBolt on a 1-yr contract while I wait for the Bionic. But the longer the TBolt takes to get released and with the rumored price, I may just wait for the Bionic.

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There is also a lot of unique little things about the thunderbolt too, like SVDO, the phone switching to speaker when its faced down etc. There are lots of others too. Oh, and the 32 GB card plus 8GB onboard

menji

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had bad experiences with moto phones, back in the day, so I decided to stay away from them. albeit, now we are talking about smart phones, so I don't have experiences with that. Moto was in a bad place a couple of years ago, and it left a sour taste in my mouth. HTC has had a good rep. when I was making my decision between the bionic and the tbolt, one of the things that weighed heavily on me was the quality of the build. this phone for me, is in it for the long run, regardless of whether it has dual core or a 1GB of RAM, anything else that comes along. and for that reason I went with HTC. deep down I really believe the phone has longevity. In a year, it may not be the fastest, with the most RAM, or brightest screen, greatest OS, or greatest battery life. but as long as I can make calls, txt people, and get my emails without any problems, and get a working web-browser, I'll be fine and dandy. besides i'll wait for octo-core :p

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just go over to the Atrix threads and see what they think about the Motoblur some feel that its a bit laggy and it has more ram than the Bionic. So if the Atrix is Laggy then the Bionic is going to be.

You have to remember the OS is not optimized for Dual Core yet, and who knows really how long it will take for that to happen. Maybe sooner than later or mayber not!

But my money is going with the TB :)

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Like the Incredible, the Thunderbolt will be the best Android on Verizon for a good year thanks to its versatility as a hackable device. Even now I'm hesitant to leave my Incredible for anyone else since the community has had me on Gingerbread since December. You will never see that on a Moto.

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It's funny that hackability is the decision maker for me (and a lot of other people) when choosing between the Thunderbolt and the Bionic.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
panda said build quality on the bionic is better, course none of us have held one so who knows

droid x is on the verge of having the ability to load custom kernel, moto stated that stuff about xoom bootloader being unlockable(could be bs).
both of those things indicate there's a % that the bionic will be able to load custom kernels

Almightyclown

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
imo, thunderbolt wins, the bionic is ugly. moto bootloader will be locked so no roms. the new motoblur looks like moto version of touchwiz.

the bolt is better build quality. moto is gonna be a hard plastic

an bolt will be out first.

I am starting to wonder if it actually WILL be out before the Bionic. Either way though, TB wins.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoDo1975