Sigh my non existent network at work

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised it's worse than the Note 8. I had both and am a bit of a signal geek and noticed they have been about the same for me and leaning toward a little better on the note 9 in my poor reception areas.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised it's worse than the Note 8. I had both and am a bit of a signal geek and noticed they have been about the same for me and leaning toward a little better on the note 9 in my poor reception areas.

Truthfully I am shocked also. I wonder if I got one with problems?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Debating a carrier switch. Can't stand having no bars all day... Note 8 at least got 2 bars sometimes...

Doesn't look like you are using WiFi calling. I have to enable WiFi calling on my AT&T Note 9 because my signal drops to zero bars during the day at my house. It really helps in being able to make calls and send texts and it helps with the battery life somewhat. Battery life will suffer on a weaker network. I've seen it happen on every phone I've put my AT&T sim into compared to when I use my T-Mobile sim.

I bought a T-Mobile Note 9 a few weeks after buying the AT&T model because my battery life is pretty much doubled on any T-Mobile phone. I get excellent reception on T-Mobile here.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't look like you are using WiFi calling. I have to enable WiFi calling on my AT&T Note 9 because my signal drops to zero bars during the day at my house. It really helps in being able to make calls and send texts and it helps with the battery life somewhat. Battery life will suffer on a weaker network. I've seen it happen on every phone I've put my AT&T sim into compared to when I use my T-Mobile sim.

I bought a T-Mobile Note 9 a few weeks after buying the AT&T model because my battery life is pretty much doubled on any T-Mobile phone. I get excellent reception on T-Mobile here.

I am using wifi calling. Its the little phone in the LH corner. :) The only problem with wifi calling, is the MMS still doesn't work.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am using wifi calling. Its the little phone in the LH corner. :) The only problem with wifi calling, is the MMS still doesn't work.
That's the worst depending on wifi calling all the time. We had to do this at our last residence. Text messages were always delayed. Phone calls were even hit or miss.
Since you are at work, you can check with coworkers to see which carrier has the best reception there.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
If you are using an unlocked note 9 ( U1 model ) then the bars will show less than a carrier branded one. However, the tried signal strength is still the same.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's the worst depending on wifi calling all the time. We had to do this at our last residence. Text messages were always delayed. Phone calls were even hit or miss.
Since you are at work, you can check with coworkers to see which carrier has the best reception there.

Thanks. I think that might be the next step. Unless I can hold out until Band 71 comes along.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
It's actually a T-mobile one. :(
Fair enough.

I compared the signal strength of my note 8 to the note 9 using LTE Discovery app. They showed almost the exact same dBm reading in the same location side by side. See if you can compare another Samsung device next to yours using that app if possible.