Silencing Startup/Shutdown Sounds

JOEKC

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to do this without shutting down the volume or putting the phone in silent mode? I can control the sounds for various alerts, but not the noisy bootscreen and exit. I don't want to put the phone in silent mode because I forget to turn the volume back up when I turn it back on. Basically I just want my Bionic to shut up when turning on and off.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Is there a way to do this without shutting down the volume or putting the phone in silent mode? I can control the sounds for various alerts, but not the noisy bootscreen and exit. I don't want to put the phone in silent mode because I forget to turn the volume back up when I turn it back on. Basically I just want my Bionic to shut up when turning on and off.

Without rooting, No. But I just did it following some instructions for a previous phone and adjusted them accordingly for the Bionic. NOTE: It does require rooting, but you can root... 'remove/rename' the file that causes the boot animation sound, and then 'unroot'

Use this to root your phone. Its quite easy, takes 3 quick reboots (the software initiates the reboot, you just sit and wait once you click the button)
Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Then type this in a terminal window on your device, or if you have ADB installed, you can run ADB Shell.

Code
su mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system cd /system/media mv Bionic.ogg Bionic.orig mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system sync reboot

NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING. This does work. However, you must be confident in your typing skills and know how to get into a terminal window to type.

SOURCE: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/97512-remove-drrrroid-brand-sound-startup-3.html
Wanted to add where I found the information on how to do this and give credit.

Last edited:

JOEKC

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried it to achieve what the OP is asking? If not I can install it and try, but I dont like installing stuff if i'm not keeping it.
Thanks to everyone who replied. I've downloaded Quick Settings and Android Assistant. Turning off the system settings with Quick Settings silences the shutdown sound, but not the startup. Android Assistant even has a setting which claims to silence startup sounds, but it doesn't work. The only thing that works is to mute from the home screen, which is what I want to avoid.

Somehow I silenced the original "Droid" sound on startup on my OG Droid, but I can't remember how. This is not a big deal, but it just bugs me. I'm not willing to root a two-day old phone, but thanks for that suggestion. It may be the only way. And why on earth does the Bionic (like my OG Droid) have to vibrate on startup and shutdown? Makes no sense to me.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
U can silence droid by going into settings and unclicking notify with sd in sounds settings.
Thanks to everyone who replied. I've downloaded Quick Settings and Android Assistant. Turning off the system settings with Quick Settings silences the shutdown sound, but not the startup. Android Assistant even has a setting which claims to silence startup sounds, but it doesn't work. The only thing that works is to mute from the home screen, which is what I want to avoid.

Somehow I silenced the original "Droid" sound on startup on my OG Droid, but I can't remember how. This is not a big deal, but it just bugs me. I'm not willing to root a two-day old phone, but thanks for that suggestion. It may be the only way. And why on earth does the Bionic (like my OG Droid) have to vibrate on startup and shutdown? Makes no sense to me.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If i turn off my phone it will bootloop not going to turn off. The little grinding sound is hardly noticable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaUnica