Silent Mode Nightmare

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
So every since the lollipop upgrade the big complaint had been the change in volume profiles.

Simple question for people with a Moto X and lollipop... What is the easiest way for me to silence my ringer and notification volumes at night while still having my alarms? This is just a joke that I have to jump through hoops just to be able to get a good nights sleep without vibrating notifications all night and not having to worry if my alarm will sound in the am. Thanks for nothing, Google.

Sent from my 2014 Moto X

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Do the same thing you could do before the update. Use Moto Assist to set the time you sleep. It'll automatically set you to silent for sleepy-time, and your alarm can still be heard.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Priority mode with all "priority interruptions" set to off (under settings>sound&notifications>interruptions) is the same as silent mode.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I guess the ease of use for me is the big complaint. Try changing to Silent/Priority mode when you have media playing: The only option is for the media volume. Now you have to dig into setting to do the same thing that previously a long press on the power button used to accomplish.

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I guess the ease of use for me is the big complaint. Try changing to Silent/Priority mode when you have media playing: The only option is for the media volume. Now you have to dig into setting to do the same thing that previously a long press on the power button used to accomplish.

^this

material yolo?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The problem for priority mode for me is that notifications don't come in at all, right? Like they're held back until priority mode is turned off. I like to turn my phone on silent but still see notifications come in, especially at work. Moto Display makes that a nice thing to have.

What I've done is use an app called Nights Keeper to create a widget for "Silent" mode.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems like notifications still show up!

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
OK, have been using priority mode since i posted. Next issue, every morning when i wake up my X is no longer set on priority mode... It reverts back to all. Again, nightmare. This is too much aggravation for a silent mode. I can see why Google wanted to change this feature, it's extremely user friendly now. Morons.

Sent from my 2014 Moto X

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been using an app called notification toggle for a while now... Probably 18 months. It puts customizable widgets in your notification drawer, and I use it principally for a quick toggle for mobile hot spot and also sounds (normal - vibrate - silent). I've found that to be even easier than the long press of the power button since it is a simple swipe down with one finger from any screen. On lollipop it's even easier now as these toggles are also on the lock screen.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I really don't understand what's so complicated about the downtime settings. You don't even need to use them because moto Assist does it all for you. All you have to do is set the window of time you want the phone to be silent in Moto Assist, and you are done.

All that being said, I'm not too fond of the new setup. It seems like an over thought solution to a problem that never existed.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I really don't understand what's so complicated about the downtime settings. You don't even need to use them because moto Assist does it all for you. All you have to do is set the window of time you want the phone to be silent in Moto Assist, and you are done.

All that being said, I'm not too fond of the new setup. It seems like an over thought solution to a problem that never existed.

The problem is, my phone is almost acting as if it has a bug, but I know it's just that these new settings are conflicting. The phone reverts from silent to ringing and vice-versa whenever it seemingly wants, and I don't like the idea of downtime settings. I want to control when I want my phone to ring, vibrate or be silent. I woke up this morning and it was set to all after I set it to priority before bed. Then when I got to work the volume was on full-blast when I thought it was back to priority. And I missed an alarm one night when it was incorrectly set. I've been an Android user since I stood in line at 4am at my local Verizon back in 2009 for the OG Droid. I've rooted, rommed, flashed, etc. I feel pretty well versed in all things android. I listen to 4 android podcasts per week as well. Yet, I can't figure out the friggin volume settings on my phone. This is ridiculous. I feel like I need to read an Android for Dummies book, but, I don't have the time just like I don't have the time to be d1cking around with the volume on my phone all day.

Cliff Notes: even with all the suggestion my phone continues to do what it wants and I'm ready to dump Android all together for an id1ot proof phone that I can work the volume on. Apparently, android is too advanced for me at this point.

/Rant over

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The problem is, my phone is almost acting as if it has a bug, but I know it's just that these new settings are conflicting. The phone reverts from silent to ringing and vice-versa whenever it seemingly wants, and I don't like the idea of downtime settings. I want to control when I want my phone to ring, vibrate or be silent. I woke up this morning and it was set to all after I set it to priority before bed. Then when I got to work the volume was on full-blast when I thought it was back to priority. And I missed an alarm one night when it was incorrectly set. I've been an Android user since I stood in line at 4am at my local Verizon back in 2009 for the OG Droid. I've rooted, rommed, flashed, etc. I feel pretty well versed in all things android. I listen to 4 android podcasts per week as well. Yet, I can't figure out the friggin volume settings on my phone. This is ridiculous. I feel like I need to read an Android for Dummies book, but, I don't have the time just like I don't have the time to be d1cking around with the volume on my phone all day.

Cliff Notes: even with all the suggestion my phone continues to do what it wants and I'm ready to dump Android all together for an id1ot proof phone that I can work the volume on. Apparently, android is too advanced for me at this point.

/Rant over

At this point you may need to do a factory reset or something. I have not really had the bugs with downtime, but that doesn't mean that I like it.

I actually don't have any downtime settings configured. I just use the settings in Moto Assist to handle it automatically, and it seems to work.

My only complaint with that is for meetings you used to be able to set it to vibrate automatically, and now it is silent only. I'm not really sure if there is any other way to set the phone to vibrate without turning the volume all the way down.

I was not, at all, trying to say you are an *****, and don't understand Android, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Hang in there, I have a feeling Google will fix these awful settings in a update soon. There are a lot of people that aren't fond of them.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There is a bug in Moto X / Lollipop where the ringer volume is set to 60% (if it is set lower than that - or off) whenever Moto Voice is invoked, purposely or accidentally. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
At this point you may need to do a factory reset or something. I have not really had the bugs with downtime, but that doesn't mean that I like it.

I actually don't have any downtime settings configured. I just use the settings in Moto Assist to handle it automatically, and it seems to work.

My only complaint with that is for meetings you used to be able to set it to vibrate automatically, and now it is silent only. I'm not really sure if there is any other way to set the phone to vibrate without turning the volume all the way down.

I was not, at all, trying to say you are an *****, and don't understand Android, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Hang in there, I have a feeling Google will fix these awful settings in a update soon. There are a lot of people that aren't fond of them.

No worries, I didn't take any offense at all with your post. I appreciate the help actually. I dread doing a reset, so, I am going to continue to research as much as I can before taking that step. Also, one of my issues is the bug that "Cant Miss" pointed out. I figured that out in another thread. I use Moto Voice a lot in the car, and when I reach my destination my volume is cranked. It just seems like overall I am spending way too much time worrying and messing around with volume/notification settings. It just seems a bit unnecessary when it worked flawlessly before lollipop.

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm laughing over here because I thought it was just me. I've been an "in the weeds" Android user for years, but just switched from the Samsung universe to the Moto X. LOVE the hardware, but baffled by this notifications / sound profile issue. I keep saying to myself, "I must be missing something, this is the easiest thing in the world..."

Glad to know I'm not alone! They need just reinstate a damn button. Easy. Someone left an engineer alone with the spec sheet again...

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
"I must be missing something, this is the easiest thing in the world..."

Yeah... hard to believe this gets actual testing when stuff like this slips by. FWIW, everything was fine in KK.

While I love my Moto X, I think moto has some QA weaknesses they need to address. I remember similar problems with my original Moto X that weren't completely worked out until 4.4.4.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd hope Google would bring back the volume button functionality and add all the priority and interruption crap somewhere else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eligri