Sim cutting question

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I used scissors to cut my T-Mobile sim and it was fine - no sanding needed. First time doing it, so I was a bit nervous. I'm no expert, but I assume you would only need to sand if your cut was slightly off and some of the edges made it too large to fit in the sim card tray.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I used a Sim cutter tool and still had to sand just a touch diagonal corner to fit in the tray. But it was very light sanding. Like one or two strokes

Posted from Nexus 6

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I used scissors to cut my T-Mobile sim and it was fine - no sanding needed. First time doing it, so I was a bit nervous. I'm no expert, but I assume you would only need to sand if your cut was slightly off and some of the edges made it too large to fit in the sim card tray.

Nano SIM cards are slightly thinner than Micro SIM's - about 10% if I recall correctly. Depending on the design of the specific phone and SIM slot, it may be necessary to sand a small amount of material from the side opposite the gold colored contacts to ensure that the SIM will fit into the slot smoothly without getting stuck.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Nano SIM cards are slightly thinner than Micro SIM's - about 10% if I recall correctly. Depending on the design of the specific phone and SIM slot, it may be necessary to sand a small amount of material from the side opposite the gold colored contacts to ensure that the SIM will fit into the slot smoothly without getting stuck.

Are Mini SIM cards much thicker? Wondering if I should anticipate any big problems converting that (I have access to a cutter, so not worried about the sides so much as the thickness).

Irish1842

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

That's good to know in the future, thanks. I guess the Nexus 6 tray is just big enough to handle it without sanding, though I had to be sure to line everything up just right or the sim would pop out.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
This is absurd. Buy the right SIM. If you're on Verizon and they won't give you a nano, switch to a proper carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This is absurd. Buy the right SIM. If you're on Verizon and they won't give you a nano, switch to a proper carrier.

Not always so simple. They'll give, and switch service, to a different sized SIM if you have a device which will use it. My VZ service is a grandfathered hotspot UDP, so I can't waltz in with a borrowed phone that takes a nano SIM and claim to be switching to that. The cost of service through VZ for what I'd be getting is far, far below what I'd have to pay from any other carrier (effectively $50/month for unlimited phone, messaging, 4g data, 4g hotspot/home internet), so cutting is the better option.

greeknasty

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Not sure why people are freaking out. From where I've seen everywhere hundreds of people have been doing this. You act like this is news to you

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
With a $10 cutter available on amazon it comes out perfect. Just touch up the burrs on the edges with a fine grit sand paper (literally one or 2 touches) and that's it. You can't even tell that the thing was cut when done with a good quality cutter. It looks factory

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
With a $10 cutter available on amazon it comes out perfect. Just touch up the burrs on the edges with a fine grit sand paper (literally one or 2 touches) and that's it. You can't even tell that the thing was cut when done with a good quality cutter. It looks factory

Agreed. I did the same thing. Mine even came with a small piece of fine sand paper.

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
yeah i got that same one i assume off amazon..with the adapters.
so sand it a little on the sides and thats it?
thanks

Yup. I also had to sand a little off the opposite side of the metal contacts but it's working smoothly, no issues.

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Was too impatient to order a cutter so I cut the card from my s5 using a template online. Took a little trimming, but it worked with no issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony3342