Skyfire - is it worthwhile??

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone given Skyfire a try recently (v 3x)? Is it worth the effort to dl, compared to the 2.2.1 stock browser with flash 10.1? What are the pros and cons...

Also, is this the mobile version of Firefox?

Can't find anything current on this subject. All posts from a search are pretty much pre-Froyo.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
OK. I see Skyfire is NOT related to Firefox for mobile. So, the question now becomes is EITHER Skyfire or Firefox mobile better than the stock browser?

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, the stock browser to me is the best. Though when I had my BlackBerries I was always looking into 3rd party browsers, but with Android - there really isn't much need for it.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the new version of skyfire. I always liked skyfire on Winmo, but I don't see any real benefit over the stock browser on Android. It is actually a little bit to cluttered for me. There are a lot of icons and menus that take up a lot of screen space while pages load. I mostly just stick with the stock browser.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Skyfire makes it easier to switch between desktop and mobile mode plus the video transcoding feature can help provide a smoother experience when in 1x mode. But my "daily driver" is the stock browser.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I like the stock browser much better. There are advantages to Skyfire and other 3rd party browsers but I always went back to my Stock browser.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I dl Firefox (love it on my computer), but found the web pages downloaded slower and with more problems than with the stock browser ... which didn't have ANY problems.

If I moved around on the web page with Firefox, I got a gray/white check area until the rest of the page was downloaded again (even if I had just moved off that part of the page). With the X's stock browser, I could move anywhere on the page at any time -- no issues.

I left Firefox on my X for the time being because I synced it with my laptop's bookmarks. That is a MAJOR advantage. So, will use both for a while and see which works best in the long run.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that two totally unrelated browser apps are called Firefox (Mobile) and Skyfire. Gets pretty confusing!

Nonetheless, I agree that the 2.2.1 browser is far superior to any add-on app. Nice to be able to say that, especially coming from Blackberries were the browsing experience was a trial of patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110