skype, verizon, google voice, and gizmo5

fudlen

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if anyone who has a gizmo5 account is thinking what I am thinking. Gizmo5 offers forwarding to skype accounts (through some opensky service that gizmo5 doesn't even list on their site anymore since they were bought by google). If I have my gv account forward to gizmo5 which then forwards to skype I can then pick up my calls when the skype client is running on my phone. Seems like this is a little more stable than sipdroid and hopefully quality would be good since this is an official agreement between skype and vzw. What I am wondering is if these incoming calls will count against my vzw minutes. If not, which I will find out later when my minutes show up in my vzw account, then these seems like a great solution for unlimited calling. Anyone know of why this would or wouldn't work?

Last edited:

pasta

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I already have most of the things in place to do this, and you wouldn't even need a gizmo5 account. Just send the GV call to a sip provider like sipgate, then to sipsorcery and set up forwarding from there. The issue is finding a sip to skype gateway that works. OpenSky doesn't seem to be working and I'm not surprised.

Another option, you could set up a separate skype account, run it on a PC, then make a program that connected the incoming sip call to the skype account, then set up skype to call your real skype account. You would have to keep your computer on all the time though.

I have heard that it is possible to make/receive skype to sip calls through pbxes, though so far I haven't had much luck with the service. I am actively working on this problem (when I have time) as Sipdroid pisses me off.

fudlen

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
it is pretty straightforward with the gizmo5 account. i tried a few calls and found that vzw still sees these as skype calls when they are forwarded to your skype account through gizmo5. basically, you are NOT charged for these incoming calls. one of the things that isn't that great is the lag time to actually answer the calls. you get a notification from skype and then a few seconds later the phone finally rings. seems like the call quality isn't amazing either. not sure if that could be because it is going over gizmo5 voip to skype voip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppletoDroid40