Slight change to HTC's ThunderBolt page

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been keeping an eye on HTC's official ThunderBolt page at HTC ThunderBolt™ at Verizon since it was launched hoping to see more information available one day. Well, this morning I noticed the first change since it was launched: the Best Buy logo and Walk Out Working logo that had appeared at the bottom have not disappeared. Not the sort of change I was hoping for, but maybe it means they're preparing a bigger update? Don't know but thought I'd point out the change anyway.

Reactions: I am Fake Jesus

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ummm, would someone please explain what a "walk in walk out" is? ... also there's no Tbolt ad in today's Best Buy newspaper circular here.

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ummm, would someone please explain what a "walk in walk out" is? ... also there's no Tbolt ad in today's Best Buy newspaper circular here.

"Walk in, walk out working" simply means that BB can setup and activate your phone for you at the store so that you can use the phone right away.

It's no different that what VZW or AT&T do at their stores.

Reactions: ShaggyKids

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think that means that the bb rep activates your phone for you, before you leave the store. So you leave with a working unit.

Just a guess though.

Reactions: ShaggyKids

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ohhhh, ok, thanks :) I thought they did that anyway but I never bought a phone from BB and still plan to get mine from VZW. I do wonder if I activate the phone myself if I save the activate fee, though. I'm an existing customer if that makes a difference. This phone is going to cost big bucks and to add an activation fee on just makes it more expensive. I'm only swapping out a phone (Storm1 for TBolt) not changing plans or anything.

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ohhhh, ok, thanks :) I thought they did that anyway but I never bought a phone from BB and still plan to get mine from VZW. I do wonder if I activate the phone myself if I save the activate fee, though. I'm an existing customer if that makes a difference. This phone is going to cost big bucks and to add an activation fee on just makes it more expensive. I'm only swapping out a phone (Storm1 for TBolt) not changing plans or anything.

Same thing on my end....does anyone know all the things connected to the "activation". I saw a you tube video where when you turn on HTC Sense phone it literally walks you through everything. Do we even need a verizon employee to take our phones out of the box? Does anyone know?

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've been trolling that page for a while. Curious... from time to time I Google "htc thunderbolt" just to see what shows up that ISN'T on DL, Phandroid or AC. A few times I've messed my shorts, because the sponsored result (the HTC page we're talking about) has said "NEW HTC Thunderbolt - It's Not Your Dream Phone. It's the One After That. Pre-Order!" Shaking and breaking out in a cold sweat of anticipation, I clicked the link only to find out that it still just pointed me to Verizon's SARCASM ever changing /SARCASM "Coming Soon" page.

Sorry about all the hyperbole... it's early and I haven't had any coffee yet lol

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Same thing on my end....does anyone know all the things connected to the "activation". I saw a you tube video where when you turn on HTC Sense phone it literally walks you through everything. Do we even need a verizon employee to take our phones out of the box? Does anyone know?

Activating and setting up any new phone can be done on your own, it doesn't have to be done in the store.

That being said, if you were to buy a new phone at BB I'm not sure if they would allow you to walk out without the phone being activated; you could always ask. Every time I've upgraded to a new phone I've ordered it from the VZW website; they send you an unopened phone with instructions for activating it on your own. Typically it involves a three minute telephone call to an automated system.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Droid Life posted a link to the old page, which still is viewable for a while from Google's cache of the old page: HTC ThunderBolt™ at Verizon

Comparing the two, I noticed one other change besides the missing Best Buy logo and 360 view. This sentence has been removed from the description: "The first phone with integrated video Skype mobile?. Video Skype to any device, from anywhere - no Wi-Fi required."

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
That 360 view mentions Skype video chat as well. Maybe that why they took it down. I take this to mean that Skype video chat won't be available at launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88