Sloooow Eris... What am I doing wrong?

JJ_Eris

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
After many page loading races, my son's iPhone 3GS just smokes my Eris loading any web page, any Google query, etc.

The phone says that I'm running at 3G speed. I've even tried this with him on the ATT network and me on a WiFi connection.

Any advice on Eris browser speed issues?

Thanks!

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
After many page loading races, my son's iPhone 3GS just smokes my Eris loading any web page, any Google query, etc.

The phone says that I'm running at 3G speed. I've even tried this with him on the ATT network and me on a WiFi connection.

Any advice on Eris browser speed issues?

Thanks!

I'm guessing it's due to the Android OS on the Eris being much more demanding than the OS X is on the iPhone. Several of the first low/mid end Android devices are much slower than the iPhone in such tests.

Even with 3G or WiFi, the phone still needs to process the information somehow.

The iPhone is just optimized better.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 3GS also has a faster processor running at a faster clock speed. It's simply a better and faster device than the Eris.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
My Eris has been running slower lately for just about anything. My battery life has improved, but my general operating speed as well as web loading speed are very slow.

Could it be that the longer I've had my phone, the more apps I've added? Would an app slow it down just by virtue of being installed, even if it's not running, or seldom even used?

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Could it be that the longer I've had my phone, the more apps I've added? Would an app slow it down just by virtue of being installed, even if it's not running, or seldom even used?

Have you tried clearing your cookies, cache, history, data, and browser passwords from the phone?

aorbpro

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
There is a free Google Market app named "SpeedTest" that I have been using for about 2 weeks to track my G3 speeds, both uploading and downloading data. As far as I can tell, the time of day and the weekday seem to greatly effect transmission speeds.
Just now, 5 minutes ago, my upload speed was 2048 kbps and download was 676. Yet, last week there were several times that G3 was slower than slow... upload - 386 and download - 366. Minutes later (30 min) speeds began climbing to 1368 kbps download and 778 upload.
My best guess is that the server bandwidth has a greater effect on the Eris G3 speeds than most people think.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Whoever led you to believe the Eris' browser rendering was faster than the iPhone's lied to you.

The only Android device on the market that renders html faster than the iPhone is the Nexus One, and it's barely faster. If your sole criteria for measuring the performance of a smartphone is web browsing, then buy an iPhone or a Pre and save yourself some headache.

Next time you son wants to compare web browsing, both of you visit
Penguin Swing - Free Sports Game from AddictingGames!
and you will both see that speed is not everything ;)

mc48

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried clearing your cookies, cache, history, data, and browser passwords from the phone?

Good tip. I went to setting, manage apps and then thru the apps that I use, like Bloo, browser, twitroid, etc. and just cleared the cache for each and my phone seems to be a bit snappier. of course, I never expected it to be as fast as an Iphone. and being my first smart phone, I probably don't know any better anyway. My question is, if I clear the data from all these apps, will it wipe out all my preferences and bookmarks?

I'm sure rebooting it every once in awhile is helpful as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino