Smart lock stops working - Galaxy A70

AuricMists

May 13, 2021
Visit site
Running Android 11 on a Galaxy A70.

Since the last update, the smart lock face detection has stopped functioning properly.

I go into settings => lock screen => screen lock type and see that the biometrics for Face is turned on but my face isn't being detected (the animation at the top of the screen doesn't happen) and the phone must be unlocked by another method.

If I switch this setting off then on again then the face recognition starts to work again ... for a while, but then stops working again.

Occasionally it will start working again by itself.

This all happens at home, which is a known safe location for smart lock, which brings me to another part of smart lock that does not work...
the phone does not stay unlocked very long after use when I am at home.

Does anyone else have this problem? is it a known bug? is my phone faulty? is there a solution?

Thanks

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Smart Lock hasn't worked for me reliably pretty much forever, at least for Trusted Places. And this is on Pixel phones.

AuricMists

May 13, 2021
Visit site
@B.Diddy, I tried that and I have to keep refreshing my fingerprint scans every few weeks. Seems like my fingerprints morph. Face recognition unlocks all the time - if and when it tries.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does your fingerprint scanner problem usually occur when your fingers are a little damp? My Pixel 3 XL has problems reading my fingerprint if it's even slightly moist, like after washing my hands.